matching the finish of the cabinets

Old 05-02-02, 09:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question matching the finish of the cabinets

For some reason when the previous owners of my house remodeled the kitchen they only completed half of the baseboards. They don't go completely around the kitchen (maybe half). Anyway, one half is a light oak color (I think that is the color), and the other is a very dark brown. So, I thought it would be best to purchase new wood to replace the old rather than sand down or strip down the current boards.

Here is where I run into problems as I don't have a tremendous experience in finishing wood products.
What is the way to make sure I match the finish of the rest of the kitchen?

Thanks

Old 05-03-02, 08:16 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Do you plan to replace just the older section of the baseboard, or all of it? You'll have less headaches if you just bite the bullet and replace it all at the same time. Regardless, it'll never match 100% due to several factors, mostly aging/wood type, and you don't know for sure what brand and type of finish was used previously. Don't kill yourself over all of this, it'll be new and will look great because it'll all be the same and look fresh.

If the baseboards are exactly the same size and design, then you could remove it all and sand it down outside. It's much easier to do this outside at waist level than down on your knees, no dust in the house to worry about either. You could always just give it a shot, you'd be replacing it anyway, so not much to lose except time and some elbow grease!

A lot of this will depend on how much $$$ you want to spend, and whether you actually enjoy this type of work. For me, these projects are like therapy and give me a great feeling of satisfaction when completed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: