Scallop Fence

Old 07-18-02, 10:20 PM
windel
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Scallop Fence

I am building a fence in our backyard that will split the yard into two sections. The fence will be functional and hopefully pleasing to the eye. My question is this. I would like to make the fence a scallop design and I am not sure as to how to make the design on the pickets. I have heard you take a garden hose, hold it up between posts and trace the curve and make the cut with a sabre saw. This sounds primitive and I think there should be a better way to make a gentle smooth curve between the posts. Any ideas would be of great help. Especially for the wife as she is wanting this project completed. If you know what I mean. Thanks for the response. Windel.

Old 07-21-02, 11:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using a sabre saw would probably be the best way to cut your curve, but instead of using a hose and tracing the curve on each section (and cutting "freehand"), maybe you can make a template the you can clamp on to the fence sections, and follow the template with the saw. Your cuts will all be smoother and uniform.

Just a thought.

Old 07-22-02, 11:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Herm's got a pretty good idea there.

Or if each section is the same length just get a cheap piece of molding, mount it temp on the first section the way you want it(height at post and top middle). Cut it, clamp it , draw a line and cut each section one at a time.

fred

Old 07-26-02, 08:47 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
another primative way that works

Hi,
assemble the section. Lay the section on a good flat surface.
Find the center of the top rail and from the top of this rail lay a long 2x4 perpendicular to it get a string and a pencil and a nail.
Have someone hold the string at the end of the the 2 x4 and you take the other end of the string and swing it and adjust it until you get the arc you want. Drive the nail into the 2 x4 and tie the string to it at the other end attach the pencil. Pull the string taut and proceed to mark the arc on the pickets. Then you could do as was suggested, make a template.
good luck,
Trent

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: