Former employer/slander

Old 03-17-04, 08:00 AM
Former employer/slander

I was laidoff in Oct. 03' and in the 5 months since I have only had 2 interviews out of the 60 or so resumes I have sent out. My fear is that someone within my previous company has been discrediting me with any future employers.This has happened to me in the past,the prospective employer called my references & was told I didn't know about materials & sales {electrical supplies} but the owner hired me in spite of this & I was able to prove to him of my abilities in only 1 week. I may be paranoid now but it just feels like something is wrong.Is there away to prove{or disprove} my suspicion.
Thank you in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 04:15 AM
Employer references

There is a need for reference information from a legal and decisionmaking standpoint. Most employers are reluctant to give out reference information. Some employers have no-reference policies. Many will confirm only employment dates and position due to fear of potential defamation claims by former employees.

These claims tend to be difficult to win, but even so, the employer's fear of legal action tends to keep them from volunteering employment information. Thus, employer's limited reference information may not help previous employees get new jobs or help employers make good hiring decisions. Unless the reference is slanderous (false and mean spirited) a mere bad reference isn't actionable. And suing or threatening legal action can make it even worse. An action for defamation generally requires a plaintiff to show that defamatory words about the plaintiff were communicated to another person. Proving your suspicions may be impossible. If you have documentation of defamation, then perhaps legal counsel should be sought.

One way to overcome negative references is to supply names other than your boss, that is to supply names of co-workers and other supervisors at your former place of employment who would be willing to provide an employment reference.

Old 03-19-04, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the info, I think I was parnoid due to the lack of interest in hiring.Had a 3rd interview today with a local nursing home,just wating for the crimminal check to be submitted,{in Pa. its required if you are to work with senior citizens or handicapped}.I know that will come back clean.

Old 03-19-04, 04:37 PM
Forgot to say thanks again!!!!

Search this Thread