Human Resources Email out Birthday info?

Old 10-30-07, 07:26 AM
Human Resources Email out Birthday info?

For some reason, our Human Resources department decided to send out an Email to the entire company, with an attachment that listed all employee birthdays for the month of November.

I have never heard of any company doing this before. Can they do this or this violation of an employees rights?

They did not ask anyone whose birthday they made public. They just thought it would be nice to let everyone know whose birthday was coming up in case they wanted to wish anyone a happy birthday.

I personally do not think they could legally publicize this information without the employees consent? I am correct on this or just being paranoid and uptight?

Should anything be done or said about this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 09:38 AM
I would not think that there is anything "illegal" about it as it's really not sensitive information that someone could use to maybe steal your identity. Our company has a ticker on our homepage that scrolls through birthdays and anniversaries.

If you would rather not have your name on the birthday list maybe you could ask that your name is removed from it.

Old 10-30-07, 10:17 AM
Well I know it is not really "sensitive" info such as Date of Birth.

But my issue was is that it is not really "public" info either. If I go and do searches on-line I cannot easily find my birth info. Actually after doing quite a few searches I have not been able to get this information.

That info was given to Human Resources as needed info to be hired and paid. It is my personal information and I would assume it is HR's job to keep someones personal information private and not broadcast it to the entire corporation. At the very least not without their consent, which they did not get.

Old 10-30-07, 10:48 AM
_Several_ of the companies I've worked for do this, so I don't find it unusual at all. If I ever went as far as asking for my name to be removed (don't remember if I did), it was to avoid all the fuss at a smaller company. Not because of the nature of the info.

And I disagree that dates of birth (with year) are not freely available. If you've ever gotten a traffic/parking ticket (and I'd bet a large percentage have) or been involved in any legal proceedings then it's extremely simple: You just use your state's case search and the DOB will be right there on the case summary. [Just FYI I checked your supplied name and location and doesn't seem you have gotten any tickets in CT recent past. Congrats.]

Failing that, it requires a bit more effort but is by no means hard.

-core

Old 10-30-07, 11:48 AM
It would not be tolerated in my company for some one from HR to do it. That would be considered private infomation. Everything in your HR file is covered by privacy laws.

Now if your co-workers posted the info that is a different story as they did not get the info from personell file.

Old 10-30-07, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
I agree with joed that information included in your personnel file is private information.
Here anyone releasing this info is violating labor law.

If I were you I would take the initiative to take your privacy concerns to your HR dept.

Old 10-31-07, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing core never saw "Buckaroo Banzai."

Old 10-31-07, 06:43 AM
Companies, churches, and clubs who publish birthday info usually do not publish the year--just the month and day. I guess the idea behind doing so provides a greater sense of belonging and an opportunity for others to provide greetings and make you feel warm and fuzzy. I don't think I'd spend any time worrying about it. There are greater issues that require an individual's concern and worry in life.

Old 10-31-07, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Quite correct! I did just skim around a bit and saw a synopsis and everything, but that's about it. Don't keep me guessing, what happened?

-core

Old 10-31-07, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Yes I would say that is a safe bet. Although it would be funny if there was someone in CT with that name.

Sorry I work in IT, I use as little personal information on-line as possible. And would recommend that to everyone.

Thanks all for your replies, I may speak with HR about it, I had replied to the original Email our company sent out when it happened.

Old 10-31-07, 11:03 AM
LOL ok, I see now. I didn't figure it was a handle since it was so common sounding.

I'm sure glad there really wasn't a John Whorfin in CT; if he had a juicy criminal record this thread sure could have gotten interesting! :mask:

Old 11-03-07, 07:21 AM
The company I work for actually posts Birthday's (no Year) and service anniversaries on all the bulletin boards every month.

Joed and Greg I would imagine the criteria may be a little different in Canada.

Mark_ms

Old 11-03-07, 09:51 AM
Without the year that might be a different story. I just realized that the admin(not HR) emails everyone in the department when it is someone's birthday. No age or year included.