Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > Civil Law, Labor, Health Care and Employment Law
Reload this Page >

Security Work is my specialty, but I may not ever get hired

Security Work is my specialty, but I may not ever get hired

Old 09-07-09, 01:55 PM
Unhappy Security Work is my specialty, but I may not ever get hired

I have served 4 years in the navy, and during my time I stood port security and shore patrol. Now I'm attending college for my associate's in Criminal Justice, I have taken all the mandatory certifications required by state law, I have a valid pistol permit and armed guard license, and I am CPR/AED certified. Looks pretty good eh? From what I have been hearing (reputable sources), all this could amount to squat if my credit is bad ... and it is.

I am approximately $20,000 in the hole with various creditors and some have already sent me to collections. I am one month behind (but holding) on my primary mortgage. The second mortgage is up to date. I would love to catch up on the mortgage, but money is "that tight" being that my only source of income is my unemployment and my uncle's social security check.

Unfortunately it is more common than ever for employers these days to check the credit histories of all potential candidates.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-09, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
JD was there a question in there somewhere?

Old 09-07-09, 02:33 PM
No, I was just thinking out loud, confused and a bit aggrevated that getting hired seems so "next to impossible" these days. Perhaps my short monologue would have been more appropriate getting dumped on the local bartender.

Old 09-09-09, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, if you are wanting a security job with a company that deals with money, i.e. armored truck, etc, a person with serious debt would be too much of a liability. They don't want someone who owes alot of money to be tempted to steal.

Have you tried becoming a security officer for a federal facility? Though you may have your CLEET certification and basic weapons training, companies are looking for individuals with at least Bachelors Degrees (which is equivalent to a high school diploma these days), and low liability. I would work on getting a stronger degree and work on paying down your debt.

Old 09-10-09, 07:24 AM
Well, if you are wanting a security job with a company that deals with money, i.e. armored truck, etc, a person with serious debt would be too much of a liability.
"Yes" I am unemployed, and "Yes" I am looking for a position in the security industry, but "No" I would never take a job working for an armored truck company ... even if my credit history was clean. Armored truck companies do not pay their employees very much - something like $9.50 or $10.00/hour to place their lives on the line for a few sacks of money.

I have not tried any federal facilities yet.

I would work on getting a stronger degree and work on paying down your debt.
As for the bachelor's degree, I get my student loans through Sallie Mae. Once I earn my associate's and try for my bachelor's, they will most likely review my credit history and see that I am default on so many creditors. They will probably refuse me any more loans.

I can't pay off my debt without a job. Unemployment benefits is not enough to pay off my debts.

Old 09-10-09, 08:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You say that you get by on unemployment and your uncle's social security check.

The unemployment will run out and uncle may cut you off or pass away.

It is time to put your dreams on hold and get a real job. Once you get your debts paid off and have a few dollars ahead, you can review your dreams and see if that is what you still want.

Old 09-10-09, 08:36 AM
It is time to put your dreams on hold and get a real job.
As opposed to getting a "fake" job? lol, I know what you're saying.

My other experiences are manufacturing, material handling, and warehouse. I tried to get hired at Barilla, but I couldn't pass the written test, so I never got called for an interview. The local news here ran a story about a Florida based frozen yogurt company soon to be moving to the Rochester area. The name is Yogen Fruz and they plan to bring 100 Yogen Fruz stores to the upstate area within the next five years. You can bet I will be competing for any position available.

I just hope that employer doesn't do a credit check for whatever reason. I doubt they will.

Old 09-10-09, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, most large companies do indeed do credit checks...at least in retail. Not sure about manufacturing.