Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > Civil Law, Labor, Health Care and Employment Law
Reload this Page >

Can an Employer take money away from it's employees for not completing trainings

Can an Employer take money away from it's employees for not completing trainings

Old 09-28-10, 11:06 AM
Thumbs down Can an Employer take money away from it's employees for not completing trainings

Hello, ok here's the deal. My employer is having this new tier system put in place. This system allows employees to advance in their hourly wage. Although, their are a few employees that work 3rd shift who would be traveling up to an hour in the middle of their "night" who really don't care if they get a quarter raise an hour to complete these trainings. Our boss says they can take away money that they are actually making right now if they don't complete these trainings! I'm guessing if they would be making a quarter more an hour then they would take a quarter an hour away if they don't complete these trainings! Is this legal? It's B.S. in my opinion anyway you look at it! I live in Pennsylvania if that makes any difference! Thanks! Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 11:35 AM
Union? if not they can basically do what they want you would have to get a lawyer and fight it. They can basically make it part of what you need to do your job safely or they can suspend you WITHOUT PAY until complete it. If there is a union they have to negotiate all of this millage and all the of getting there

Old 09-28-10, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
I agree with mustang..but have questions...
Could also be some sort of new regulation, that if they aren't qualified they can't do certain work? It might be possible they could get a reduction as they are not now as qualified as when they were hired?

$.25 an hour? For training the company will provide? Now...if it's 3 weeks of training on their own time...that's a different story. But if they get paid while in training, or its relatively short, sounds like a pretty good deal. I remember people that would have been thrilled with a .25 raise!

Of course if someone is making $25.00 an hour already...maybe not.

Old 09-28-10, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Not an employment lawyer myself but most companies of any size these days have attorneys to look at such things, which make the likelihood of them implementing something illegal very low

Old 09-28-10, 02:50 PM
Thanks all! We don't have a union. Thing is we have to take tests at the end of the trainings in order to get our raises. So, not sure what happens if one of us fails! If we get a pay reduction or ? As far as us getting paid for training, most of us are salary, so as far as I know we would only get the raise at the end of the trainings and not paid for all the trainings hours. Plus our boss is going to be the one doing the trainings. I'd rather go to the dentist then deal with that $^#*[email protected]% lol Jack