General Contractor that did'nt pay

Old 10-01-10, 04:13 PM
Exclamation General Contractor that did'nt pay

Hey,
I'm in Ga. and am a licensed builder. I hired a legitimate insured contractor to do a small brick job on one of my houses. This guy acted as a GC and just hired it out to another contracting company.
Anyway, I paid the guy I hired but he skipped town and didn't pay the guys he hired. Am I liable to pay the guys he hired as well? They are contacting me and threatening liens and attorney fees. I feel sorry for them but am I to pay twice for the same job just because "they're boss" was a snake?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-10, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Ummm I think you need to talk to the lawyer you have on retainer. As I understand..unless you have the signed paperwork...yep..yer suckin.

I have to ask..cause this is a little different from my experience...what the heck is a licensed builder? Most smaller builders I knew were prior GCs. In fact..in smaller projects..we only dealt with GCs who handled almost everything except design. Maybe chandler will be more knowledgeable about your area....he'll be around.

Old 10-01-10, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here in GA the GC license is expensive. You have to pay for the license, then keep an account with $15k in it as contingency money. There may be a way to tap into that money if you contact the Secretary of State's office. In my line of work, remodeling, there are no provisions for GC status. When it came up a couple of years ago, we could grandfather ourselves in, but I couldn't be a GC and do my type work, so I chose not to license as a GC.
Your liability insurance should have a provision for what you have had happen, not sure. But as Vic so elaborately and eloquently stated, yer suckin. You are ultimately responsible for payment, not only to the subcontractors, but to the suppliers, as well, so get ready. If he didn't pay the subs, he charged the materials and won't pay for them and you'll be gettin' a bill for them, too.

Old 10-02-10, 05:08 AM
I pay for all my materials so labor is all is involved. I also did'nt say he was a GC. I said he acted as GC. In other words, I hired him to do the brick, then he got to busy or something, and got some other contractor to do the job and skipped out on them.

Old 10-02-10, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I think you need to talk to the lawyer you have on retainer"

I think Vic gave you the best advice

Old 10-02-10, 06:39 AM
I'm no lawyer but it sounds to me the guys who did the work should be going after the guy who hired him to do the job, not you.

Old 10-02-10, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by hrjrkr View Post
I'm no lawyer but it sounds to me the guys who did the work should be going after the guy who hired him to do the job, not you.
They tried, but he left town and moved somewhere else. That's probably why he took the opportunity to screw them. Guess I'm more readily available to take it out on.

Old 10-02-10, 09:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By all means, contact the lawyer, as advised. But you are at the bottom of the food chain by having the work done and being accessible. Your liability will not diminish.

Old 10-03-10, 06:40 PM
what is wrong with paying them AFTER the job is done and inspected ?
ESPECIALLY when you are buying the materials ?

Old 10-04-10, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He paid the guy he contracted for the work but that guy subbed the job out and didn't pay the sub contractor

Search this Thread