Payback agreement after the fact?

Old 10-02-10, 06:16 AM
Payback agreement after the fact?

As a term for employment, I had to sign a payback agreement (so many years to get the relo package), which I had no problem with as it was required before the fact. I have met all those obligations.

I had difficulty selling my home as part of the relo package and the company agreed to pay down a loss on sale to some degree. During the discussions to get the assistance, I had said I would be willing to sign some degree of extension to get the assistance. The company never told me it would be a requirement nor did they even insinuate that it would be a requirement.

The house has sold and it is now several months later. The other day I was informed that I may have to sign a several year payback agreement or I may be forced to pay back what they have already paid with no agreement in place.

I have informed them that I have no intention of signing. I have not been looking for work nor did I intend to start. This has put a really bad taste in my mouth. Do they have a right to make me sign such an agreement when prior to this date there had been absolutely no discussion on their end, there is nothing verbal or in writing to indicate they every broached the topic other than my stating (without their prompting) that I would be willing to "agree to some sort of extension if it was required to get the assistance". I did not agree to any time period and obviously it was not required to get the assistance because I already got it.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-10, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
My understanding is they cannot make you sign it but they can make your life unpleasant if they get irritated enough about it

Might be worth paying for a consultation with an attorney

Old 10-06-10, 03:38 AM
It has gotten quiet (too quiet...).I hope this means they have nothing to go on. The sad thing is, they know I am likely not going to go anywhere, I am not looking, and I, for the most part, enjoy what I am doing. I was not so concerned about the "If I quit, I owe them." part of a deal, however, the contracts are written so that if I am released for any reason other than elimination of a job (and no comparable replacement), I have to write them a check as well.

In other words, "You're fired, please leave the cash at the door on your way out as a nice parting gift.".

Old 10-06-10, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Ouch! Never seen that before, all the agreements I've ever signed were voided if the employer terminated my employment

Old 10-08-10, 10:27 AM
Now you can see why I will not sign it and I know they cannot make me sign it (but as you said, they can make my life miserable, but they have not done so yet). Until I hear otherwise, it is a non-issue in my opinion. I have all correspondence and anything that may be in writing, so if it does come up, my case is pretty strong. Of course, they can let me go for no reason, so I can't be too out of line.

Old 10-08-10, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
I think my approach would be to be quiet about this and hope it goes away

Sorry, I don't envy you at the moment