Caregiver Liability

Old 07-14-11, 09:06 PM
Caregiver Liability

I will be hiring a certified caregiver for my Father, what are the possible liabilities that we/he could encounter? I have a HR background, and if we hire as a subcontractor, I believe we limit some. This is new territory for all of us and protecting his assets is critical. Any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-11, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's the type of work my wife does. Are you hiring an individual? or going thru an agency?
What liabilities are you mostly concerned with? Whoever you get, it would be best to get references, maybe even a background check.

Old 07-15-11, 10:51 AM
Marksr, I was hoping to save money by hiring a person. An agency will allievate my concerns - references, fingerprint, insurance, etc. Here are some concerns regarding the caregiver: Injury, harashment and sexual harashment, thief. These are things fresh in my mind. I understand the need to fingerprint, reference and background check. I will be the one putting his life in someone elses' hands and frankly, that scares me. I want to take every precaution I can for the safety and wellbeing of my Father.

Old 07-15-11, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Getting and checking references is probably the number one thing to do. I would think it would be a good idea to remove or put anything valuable that might tempt a not so honest person. My wife has worked more than one job where the other caregiver was less than honest. I don't know if there is a good way to weed out the bad ones

As far as injury goes, if the caregiver gets hurt - the homeowner's insurance would probably kick in. If you are worried about your father getting hurt - again that's where checking references [both work and personal] is key.