Hiring a Contractor

Old 07-28-11, 06:31 AM
Hiring a Contractor

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this. We are in the final stages of getting bids to re-paint our house (Spray or Brush Paint Our House).

A couple of the bids that came in had on there the cost of workman's comp. If this item is in the final contract, does this possibly open us up to being sued if something happens while they are painting?

I can understand if they want to pass that cost over to us but just let it be in the total bid and not listed.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-11, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
I would say the fact that it IS listed separately might be a good thing. I think most people have become educated enough that they have learned to ask for insurance, license and documentation of that sort.

Possibly it's listed because the person will be hiring help that are part time employees?

I sure wouldn't want a bid that just said "paint house and trim....$3000".

Old 07-28-11, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like breaking out the details, which demonstrates that the contractor is going to be responsible for the comp coverage on the crew.

As Vic said, sounds like a good thing.

Old 07-28-11, 02:15 PM
OK thanks for your help! I was just afraid that if it was listed that it could somehow come back and bite us. We don't want to lose everything that we have worked for.

Old 07-28-11, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If he DIDN'T have it listed, you'd probably never know if he had it or not, and you could be somewhat liable. Here, we can purchase what is called a "ghost" policy. It doesn't enumerate all the names since you can hire casual labor which changes daily. You pay for a specific number of "bodies" without names. It may be what he has.

Old 07-28-11, 05:06 PM
A standard request from you would be to ask for a certificate of insurance. It comes directly from the insurance company to you and tells you exactly what coverage he has, workers comp, medical, property damage, and general liability. He should have more than just comp.

If your house is over 30 years you will want to be sure there is no lead paint.

Bud

Old 07-29-11, 05:36 AM
Thanks! Most of the bids have been comparable - around $2,100 - one was $3,000. Now, we need to drive around the HOA to look at the colors and make a final decision.

Some have offered a 2 yr warranty, while some have offered an all-inclusive 4 year warranty and one has offered an all-inclusive 7 year warranty for an extra $600.

I was surprised that all of them wanted payment on completion.

Old 07-29-11, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I was surprised that all of them wanted payment on completion"

Why
That's pretty much the industry standard. I'd shy away from contractors that want money up front although I have heard that is common practice in some locales The contractor should have credit at the paint store so there shouldn't be any need for upfront money.

Old 07-29-11, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Any more than about 1/3 up front (depending on the type of work, of course) and I start to worry about the results I'm going to see. You always want to have a considerable portion of the payment left until after completion to give you leverage to ensure quality work.

Old 07-29-11, 10:06 AM
It seems the only one that wanted something (20%) was one of the local printers.