Microfiber cushion covers in washing machine?

Old 05-02-05, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Microfiber cushion covers in washing machine?

Hi all...first post here

I have a medium-beige microfiber sofa and loveseat that are about 1.5 years old, and they're starting to get a tad dirty.

I know I can use mild soap and water for spot cleaning, but I'd like to wash all the cushion covers completely - 10 pieces in all.

Is it okay to do this in the washing machine, say a gentle cold water wash with a mild detergent?

Many thanks!

Old 05-03-05, 10:48 AM
no. regular sofa cushions, although they have a zipper, are not meant to be removed & washed. IF you're able to wash them without them coming apart or shrinking, you'll likely not be able to get them back on! don't do it. have them professionally cleaned.

Old 05-03-05, 03:16 PM
Dang, I was afraid of that....I'm sure glad I asked here first!

Thank you Annette

edit: Does this mean dry cleaning? I'm not entirely convinced that they'll know what to do with microfiber, so I should probably know exactly what to ask for when I go in.

Last edited by twelvepole; 06-21-05 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Quoting entire post is distracting and redundant
Old 05-04-05, 08:09 AM
edit: Does this mean dry cleaning? I'm not entirely convinced that they'll know what to do with microfiber, so I should probably know exactly what to ask for when I go in.
NO!!! it means professional upholstery cleaning. DO NOT REMOVE THE CUSHIONS & TAKE THEM TO YOUR DRY CLEANERS! it's more like carpet cleaning. they come to you. they'll use a steamer/extractor machine on the sofa itself. with the covers on the cushions.

NOTE: to be safe, though, look to see if there's any kind of fabric care instruction tag anywhere on the sofa. if not, since it's pretty new, call the store where you purchased the sofa & ask them for the care instructions for that particular fabric.

Old 05-04-05, 05:11 PM
Ooooooh, I gotcha.

Can't find any care tags. I bought them used from a buddy of mine, but I know the store where he bought them. I'll give them a call.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by twelvepole; 06-21-05 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Quoting entire post is distracting and redundant
Old 06-20-05, 05:07 PM
rosiechica
Visiting Guest
I'm having sort of the same problem only mine is with a smell, let me know what you find out!

Old 06-21-05, 01:25 AM
Carpet cleaning professionals usually offer this service. A protectant can also be applied..post cleaning to help with future spills or odors. Many say microfiber furniture can be cleaned with water based and solvent based cleaners. But i have talked with many people in the professional field. That have experience where solvent based cleaners have/can damage the dye. My advice have them professionally cleaned and protected.

Old 06-21-05, 10:44 AM
if odor is the only problem, try FaBreeze spray.

Old 06-21-05, 06:15 PM
T
As indicated, cushion covers should never be removed for cleaning purposes despite zippers. Problems with shrinkage and getting covers properly fitted over cushions tend to be a nightmare. Do not remove cushion covers.

Look for the manufacturer's cleaning label to find out what cleaning method is recommended. If in doubt, call a professional.

If odors are a problem such as from pet or human waste, you can clean the upholstery, but you can not cleaning the padding or cushioning beneath. Neither you nor a pro can remove these. Pet and human waste accidents tend to settle not only downward but outward 3-5 times the size of the affected surface area.

Any DIY cleaning method or protectant should be applied in inconspicuous place first before proceeding to test for ill effects. It is always best to follow manufacturer's cleaning and maintenance instructions.

Old 06-21-05, 06:48 PM
rosiechica
Visiting Guest
professional cleaning

Does anyone know how much that costs? The problem with only spraying Fabreeze is that cats will return to the area that they urinated before, even Fabreeze can't cover up the smell to cats. Are there any at home dry cleaning kits that might work?

Old 06-21-05, 06:57 PM
T
I am not familiar with all Febreeze products. If they have one that has an enzyme digester deodorizer, then that is the one you need. Otherwise, shop for an enzyme digester deodorizer and cleaner. You might also want to purchase a pet repellent product and address pet issues (health, territorialism, changes in household, retraining for potty, etc.). Cleaning of upholstery is best done according to manufacturer's instructions. As indicated, you can clean the upholstery but you cannot clean the cushioning/padding beneath.

Old 06-22-05, 07:02 AM
rosiechica: you just said "I'm having sort of the same problem only mine is with a smell". you didn't say it was CAT URINE smell. that's one of the most horrible, hard to get rid of smells, especially when it's been on carpet or fabric. if you have upholstered furniture that's been peed on by a cat, please just get rid of it & buy different furniture. you've probably gotten fairly used to the way it and your house smell, but believe me, when people come into your home, they are smelling it! get rid of it.

Old 07-02-05, 09:21 PM
rosiechica
Visiting Guest
I'm afraid it is cat urine. We just bought the couches and can't afford to get new ones! she was good for about a week and now she just did it again. i'm getting so sick of it! the deterrant spray stuff i've put on there is not working.

Old 07-26-05, 07:13 PM
knothead
Visiting Guest
Talking removing cat urine smell

I had this problem, my daughter brought a male cat home, and old softie(me)
let her keep it.He sprayed my carpet and a love seat(new).I got PETZYME at
PetSmart, it is an odor and stain remover.It worked for me.Thank Goodness, and I have very sensitive nose.Good Luck
Mary

Old 07-26-05, 11:28 PM
The trick to removing odor and most spills on porous surfaces is...you have to recreate the conditions that caused the spill. Say the cat sprays 2 or 3 oz of urine. A few sprays from a bottle is not going to do the trick. You have to match what causes the problem and sometimes apply more. Or additional cleanings. Enzyme cleaners are effective when given the proper dwell time and used as directed. Keeping the cat away from the couch is another thing thou. GL

Old 04-17-09, 07:45 AM
L
Thumbs up It's okay!

As a mother of three children, everything I own is either microfiber or leather because they're so easy to clean . On MOST fabrics, you should never remove the covers... But speaking from experience, it is absolutely fine to remove microfiber covers and wash them. Microfiber does NOT shrink, so you don't need to worry about not being able to get the covers back on. The only thing you want to do is use a very small amount of detergent (no softener or anything else). If you use too much detergent, the microfiber will feel filmy. In this case, run through the washer again with only water and no detergent. When using the washer, I've used warm/warm water (and since I haven't used any other setting, I won't recommend it, but I don't know that it would do anything wrong). I throw a couple of dryer sheets in the dryer and use a medium heat setting. Washing the covers in this manner takes out the stains and leaves my couch smelling like a fresh pile of laundry. It's amazing!

For the actual couch and pieces you can't wash, you can use the handheld attachments on a steam cleaner with some of the steam cleaner fluid for carpet/upholstery. If you don't have access to a steam cleaner, you can pay a service to come out and steam clean it as everyone else recommended. If you don't feel like dishing over big bucks, invest in a box of *****(again, something I've learned from experience). When you tried using a damp cloth, I'm sure it made the fabric look awful (like little dark spots everywhere) from water spots. You just used too much water. ***** seem to have the right amount of wetness/dryness to clean without leaving these horrid spots everywhere. Just be sure when you are wiping the spots that you continue wiping until you can't see ANY part of the stain anymore. If it looks like you got the stain out but you can see a differentiation of where the stain was at all, it will look bad when it dries. I recommend rubbing an area larger than the actual stain itself and continue rubbing until the entire area all looks exactly the same. This works perfectly for on-the-spot cleaning of spills too. I hope I helped and made life a little easier and saved you a few bucks along the way!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-25-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 07:54 AM
L
Lightbulb P.s.

Oh, by the way, about the cat urine. I don't know if washing (or anything else for that matter) will get rid of that smell. Cat urine really likes to stick around... But trying never hurt anyone and luckily for you microfiber has some water repellent capabilities. If you're lucky, the fabric never absorbed the smell and it's just kind of floating on top. If you wash it and the smell is still there, I recommend saving up for a new couch.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-25-09 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Awful suggestion
Old 04-25-09, 09:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why hasn't some company come up with feline diapers yet? I could just imagine that would be a huge revenue stream.

Old 10-27-10, 11:43 AM
T
I have washed my Microfiber covers in the washing machine twice

And I couldn't be happier with the results, I washed them on the gentle cycle with mild detergent, threw them in the dryer for 10-15 minutes and then put them back on my cushions and let a fan dry them the rest of the way, they looked like new. It was a little hard to get the covers back on the cushions because it's such a snug fit but my camel colored cushions never looked better.

Old 04-28-11, 01:35 PM
D
I feel the need to reply to this incase someone like me is looking for an answer

If you wash the on cold there isn't gonna be a problem with them shrinking. The reason why things shrink is because of heat. Don't dry them. Very mild detergent should be fine but as I have read in other places test it first. Put a small amount on your cushions first and rinse. Wait to dry to see if it has faded. Hope this was helpful!!!

Old 05-25-11, 05:14 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Washing Microfiber

I agree completely 100% with what Darcy had said. I do take my slipcovers off and wash them in the machine on COLD. I never put them in the drier either. I let them air dry. When I wash them I also use a cap of ****** in the machine. That also gets rid of urine stains. I have 2 cats and dogs so I know from experience. Regular detergetn made the covers kind of soapy. I also use it to spot clean the microfiber on the frame and body of the furniture.

They do not need to be professionally cleaned. Just keep them from getting hot or warm.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-01-11 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Advertising not allowed
Old 09-13-11, 03:20 PM
H
I did it!!!

I have a beige and chocolate brown microfiber sofa and loveseat. While I love them, the beige cushions show dirt very easliy. Like many people I was reluctant to wash my microfiber cushion covers in the machine. Between two dogs, two cats, and a husband unfortunately my microfiber sofa was starting to look dirty. I finally decided that I was going to wash them and had settled on the fact that if they were ruined then I would buy new ones and NEVER do it again. I washed the cushion covers on the "Hand Wash" setting of our HE machine. They came out of the washer looking great....so far so good. I then decided that I would try the dryer. I set the dryer on "Air Only" and dried for 15 minutes. They were still pretty wet so I decided to select the "Extra Low" setting. I again dried them for 15 minutes. They were mostly dry and I continued to dry for 5 minutes at a time for an additional 10 minutes checking on them frequently. They were completely dry. Although I wouldn't recommened full blast heat, I think that some heat does help with the cushion covers. If your covers are like mine, they seem to "stretch" out. The minimal heat helped to reduce any excess in the cushion covers. I was VERY pleased. I would only recommened this type of washing like twice a year though. Good Luck!!!!

Old 10-02-11, 01:00 PM
T
i just did this about a week ago. honestly, it was a pain and i'd probably hand wash it next time. the most difficult part was getting the covers back on the cushions, since they seem to have shrunk a little and they were already tight. i didn't use any heat in the dryer to dry them. just my experience with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: