magic marker on outside of painted door

Old 05-21-05, 02:58 AM
KoalaSuz
Visiting Guest
magic marker on outside of painted door

I'm so mad I could scream...someone used magic marker to scrawl awful words on the outside of my back door. It's wood, but has about 20 layers of outdoor paint on it. My husband was NOT amused. So...what can I do to get magic marker off my door without using the heat gun this weekend? We planned to use the heat gun eventually...just not now.

Old 05-21-05, 07:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If its permanenet marker..its usually permanent and will require repainting or stripping then painting of the door. If its a regular marker..a solvent cleaner such as rubbing alcohol should work.

Old 05-21-05, 04:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If repainting, sand surface and apply a couple coats of primer/sealer like Zinsser to seal marker so that it does not bleed through new paint. Or, simply sand off the marker to eliminate the graffiti until you can paint. Before doing so, take pictures and call the local police to come take a look at the vandalism.

Old 05-23-05, 10:45 AM
KoalaSuz
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the good advice. We have already called the vandalism hotline. I haven't tried the rubbing alcohol yet, but will do it before the sander comes out.
We figured on needing to strip most of the door anyway, so the marker will come off at that point at the very latest. The door was put on the house in 1929, and looks like it has never been sanded/stripped since then. So it would need to be done at some point. I'm just hoping that's not so soon. Lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: