Maintaining Satin Finished timber furniture

Old 05-28-05, 06:00 PM
K
karey64
Visiting Guest
Maintaining Satin Finished timber furniture

In particular, I have a large dining table of pine. The finish gets marked (soft scratches sort of). What products should I use or not use. I have beeswax and oils but should they be used on this kind of finish?

I was under the impression that timber furniture needs "feeding", but what effect does the finish have on this?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-05, 10:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You must first determine finish type. You can test in inconspicuous place. Alcohol will dissolve lacquer, shellac, and varnish. Polyurethane tends to scratch. Acetone has no effect on it. Oil finish will absorb water. Scratches can be buffed out with superfine #0000 steel wool and oil and then piece re-oiled. Wax finish will turn white if a teaspoon of water gets on it. Scratches and white marks can be buffed out with beeswax and superfine steel wool & piece rewaxed.

Many refinishers, preservationists, and restorers of furniture recommend waxing furniture to provide a wear and tear layer. Furniture is made from dead wood. It can not be fed. Most polishes on the market attract dust and contain silicone that can buildup and soften finish. Lemon oil is kerosene and can damage furniture.

A thin coat of wax every six months provides great protection. Avoid wax buildup by applying thin coats. There are wax removers available. Avoid furniture wax that contains solvents that can damage finish. Wax can be applied with #0000 superfine steel wool to achieve even finish. On tabletop use circular motion to apply and then even it out with the grain. If piece has never been waxed, apply three thin coats about every eight hours. Buff each coat with old terry towel, T-shirt, or diaper. Wax table legs only about every 18-24 months.

Use a tablecloth and trivets to protect table during meals. Wipe up spills immediately.

Old 06-17-05, 03:56 AM
K
karey64
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the help.

It is very much appreciated.