Is baking soda good for carpet oder?

Old 06-15-05, 09:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is baking soda good for carpet oder?

Hello. The carpeting in my house has a dirty carpet smell. Would sprinkling baking soda over it and leaving it on awhile and then vacuuming with an upright vacuum be a good idea? If so, how much should I use per square foot and how long should I leave it on before I vacuum it up? If it's not a good idea, what would be good to use instead? Thanks. jcritchie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 01:35 AM
Baking soda can help with the odors. But in my thoughts, once you put it down in the carpet. You most likely will never get it all back out. I would be more interested in finding out what is causing the odor. Has it been humid in your area for a long time?

Old 06-16-05, 07:25 AM
J
I'm not sure about the humidity around here but I do live about eight miles from the Atlantic ocean. Could that have something to do with it? Thanks for the advice. jcritchie

Old 06-16-05, 08:35 AM
If its humid long enough...i have seen that odors start. Basicly any spills or dirt that has been left in the carpet. Starts having a "wet dog" effect. Where the moisture has reactivated the soiling. I would do a complete cleaning of the carpet. With either a good DIY machine or the professional way, which may be better.

Old 06-18-05, 06:14 AM
T
Unhappy Dirty carpet smell

Having been in the carpet cleaning business for nearly 15 years, I can without a doubt tell you thea the "dirty carpet smell" is coming from a dirty carpet.

Obviously I'm going to tell you to call a professional to clean your carpet. You'll be surprised to find out how little it costs to have one room cleaned in your home. Around here (New Brunswick Canada) we charge a minimum of $45.00 to clean one room. By the time you go to the rental store or grocery store to rent a machine, purchase the cleaning and defoaming chemicals needed to do the job, you'll probably pay in the area of $35.00

OK, great, you saved $10.00

Now, you have to go to the store to get the machine and chemicals. Pack them into your car and drive home. Take them out of your car and lug them into your house. Now, read the directions on the top of the machine and follow them to the letter (Ha, this hardly ever happens). Spend who knows how long cleaning your carpet. An average 12 x 16 living room with little furniture takes us about 20 minutes to clean and groom. The average home owner will clean the carpet at least twice to make sure they got all of the dirt out. We've rented these machines in the past to see how well they work and how well they're maintained. Let me tell you that most machines although quite clean, are difficult to use and really leave the carpets quite damp. And we know what we're doing.

Now, you've spent about an hour cleaning your carpets. It's now time to clean the machine before you take it back to the store. Take it from me, if your carpets are really heavily soiled, this can be a disgusting job.

Ok, you've cleaned up the machine, the kitchen counter, sink and floor and are ready to take the machine back to the store. You check the chemicals and see you have enough left over to clean your carpets another 10 times. That's OK, because you plan to keep your carpets clean and do them on a regular basis.

You take the machine back to the store and get your deposit back. You're pleased with yourself that you were able to do this task on your own.

You go home and find the carpet is quite wet. Well, you think, that's OK, they'll dry in no time. Unfortunately, you got carried away with your cleaning process and really soaked the carpets. It takes them two days to dry and in the meantime, the smell of wet carpets is 10 times worse than the dirty carpet small you started with.

Six months later, you notice an odd odor in the carpets, pull up one corner of the carpet to find out what the heck is going on and find mold growing in the underlay. You now have to empty the room, take up and dispose of the carpet and underlay, re-sand the wooden floor to get rid of the stains and have new carpet and underlay installed at a cost of about $1000.00

Now, let me ask a question, would you rather save the $10.00 by doing the original job yourself or call in a professional that is responsible for the condition of your carpets when he leaves your home???????

Your call.

Ted

Old 06-18-05, 10:45 AM
T
Professional carpet cleaning is recommended every 12-18 months. The pros have the big trucks that have enouch suction to remove excess water that can cause mold/mildew problems and delamination of carpet backing. They also use cleaners that leave no residues that can attract soil and cause rapid resoiling. They also have equipment that maintains water temperature (180 degrees plus) to clean and disinfect.

Old 07-27-05, 05:07 PM
R
RolandD
Visiting Guest
If you can locate the source of the odor, or if you want to freshen the entire room, white vinegar in a spray bottle helps. Just spritz and odors abate. You can also sit out a bowl for room odors. After a minor fire, vinegar got rid of the odor in less than three weeks.

It's also good for cleaning stains in your carpet.

Old 07-27-05, 11:30 PM
T
I am a big fan of white vinegar/water solution as a household surface cleaner and also rubbing alcohol/water solution for surface cleaners. But, when it comes to carpet odor, it is very important to identify the source of the odor. There are no instant solutions if smelly carpet is installed over concrete with moisture issues and mold/mildew are problems. If pet urine is a problem, the no amount of surface cleaning that will resolve the odor issues of cushion or subflooring beneath where urine tends to settle 3-5 times outside of affected surface area. Carpet that has been cleaned with DIY methods & not professionally cleaned by professional carpet cleaners can leave overly wet carpet cushion beneath carpet and can saturate subfloor.

According to the Carpet Rug Institute, a professional carpet cleaning is recommended every 12-18 months depending upon soiling situation and before soiling occurs. Professional carpet cleaners have the expertise and equipment to apply hot enough water to clean & disinfect (180 degrees plus), such out excess water to prevent mold & mildew, pretreatment stain removers and cleaners to remove no residues that attract soil, and hot enough water to disinfect and return memory twist to yarn (180 degrees plus).