Basement smell - cat urine?

Old 06-15-05, 06:32 PM
crivens
Visiting Guest
Basement smell - cat urine?

There is a smell in the basement that appears from time to time. I think it's related to the temperature and/or humidity. It smells a bit like tuna, so I think it's the previous owner's cat. The problem is, it can be smelt in both basement rooms (one is carpeted and almost finished and the other is concrete floor with zero finishings).

The bottom 12 inches of the support post in the finished basement room is rusting away, so maybe it was used as an animal toilet?

A contractor is coming to give quotes on replacing the support post.

But would I have to replace the carpet to get rid of the smell, assuming it is a cat? If not a cat, what else?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Old 06-18-05, 01:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet should be removed. Pet urine that has settled into concrete will be more noticeable on warm, humid days. Urine settles not only downward but outward three to five times the size of the affected surface area. Although carpet can be cleaned and disinfected, there is no way to clean the carpet padding or subfloor beneath.

Rusting support post could be due to its being used as an area for pets going to the bathroom there. It could also be due to moisture issues in the concrete. The only way to address your odor issues is to remove the carpet. Concrete can be sealed to seal in pet odors before replacing carpet. If there are moisture issues, then these need to be addressed before replacing carpet.

Old 06-20-05, 10:03 AM
Agreed...if its that bad then cleaning the carpet is going to be a waste. Running a dehumidifer is most likely going to be a must.

Old 08-03-05, 02:24 PM
coffee

Coffee grounds absorb odors. I just put some on a couple of plates and lay them around.

Old 08-04-05, 01:35 AM
In order to remove the smell, you must remove the source. Anything that is used to mask the odor or a temp solution..will only prolong the "suffering".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: