microfiber couch and cat urine = bad smell

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-05, 06:06 PM
rosiechica
Visiting Guest
microfiber couch and cat urine = bad smell

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the urine smell out of my microfiber couch cushions? I've tried stain and odor remover spray, but it's not getting all of the smell out. Can I dry clean? is there an ay home dry cleaning kit that would work? Please help!

Old 06-21-05, 11:50 AM
joemomma893
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb To The Contrary

I had the same problem with my microfiber couch cushion, except my 28 month old daugher likes to poop on my couch! I was on here almost every day looking for answers and just for the record, microfiber couches come with a care tag underneath, on the end of the couch, they arent on the cushions themselves. I had nothing to loose so I just put the cushion in the washer and yes, they are washable. Cold water, any colorsafe detergent, let the cushion air dry. I have a two part cushions for my couch, one part un-zips where the foam will come out, TAKE THAT FOAM OUT, then there is anther pillow-top-like part that doesnt come apart, its okay, there is only foam in that which wont bunch up after its washed.
Signed,
THE GUTSY ONE

Old 06-21-05, 07:45 PM
rosiechica
Visiting Guest
what kind of couch do you have?

I'm scared to do that because we just bought them about 5 months ago. Can I ask what kind of couch you have? I bought mine at Steinhafels, it's a light tan color. I can't find any care instructions on the couch anywhere...

Old 07-02-05, 04:07 AM
smeahes
Visiting Guest
I have a microfibre couch as well. I notice that just washing it with gentle detergent doesn't completely get rid of the smell. I was told to use a water-vinegar solution first as it is supposed to eliminate the musty smell. My pain-in-the-butt kitty peed on the sofa this morning so I just tried it a few hours ago. I will let you know if it damaged the couch in anyway. Hopefully I do not have to go buy a new sofa set.

Any suggestions on how to get a cat to stop peeing on furniture? She is 3 yrs old and just started doing it.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know how the water/vinegar works.

Old 07-02-05, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think there are sprays that you can apply to furniture that will keep pets from using them as a toliet. Never had the chance to invest in one thou. I do know that if the spot/stain is not competely removed they will keep coming back to the same place.

Old 08-29-05, 01:16 AM
Santi
Visiting Guest
O.k. everyone stay calm...It will all be o.k..... I'm new to this site but fortunately(and sometimes unfortunately) not microfiber, a.k.a ultrasuede. There are a couple of things that you can do. Try a mild, non oily soap with a gentle cloth and warm water. You can you uncented oil free baby wipes. I've even used this stuff called wipe away in small amounts to clean microfiber. Of course what ever you use you want to try a test area first in an inconspicuous part of the sofa. But usually mild soap, gentle cloth and warm water will do the trick. Don't worry when it dries just brush it out and it should return to its original splendor.(not stay stiff and crunchy.) Oh, those credential things I almost forgot.lol. I work retail furniture as a delivery manager/ repair/ customer service person. And I also have an upholstery business. And in both I use insane amounts of ultrasuede(microfiber)
Santi

Old 11-14-05, 07:30 PM
alamon2
Visiting Guest
ye ol cat urine on the microfiber couch quandry

so, in our infinite wisdom, we purchased a microfiber couch that has non-removable cushions and sewn-on covering (yeah, I know). i used a mild soap combo on the surface, and all is well 'stain-wise' . but, what about the smell?? i'm on the verge of dumping a bunch of vinegar on the area so that it will soak into the cushion!!!!

your help will go down in "Save my couch before Thanksgiving" history!!!

Old 11-15-05, 01:30 AM
Thats the only problem with nonremoveable cushions. You really will never get the cushion clean. You may try apply some enzyme based cleaner and then take a shop vac and put the hose on the lower part of the cushion and turn it on. This will help draw the cleaner in to the cushion. This may improve the odor. Most of the times in this situation...most people tend to replace.

Old 08-18-06, 10:38 AM
L
Originally Posted by smeahes

Any suggestions on how to get a cat to stop peeing on furniture? She is 3 yrs old and just started doing it.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know how the water/vinegar works.
If your cat is only 3 and started peeing inapropriately just recently, you should take her to a vet, as this is a classic syptom of a urinary tract infection, very common in cats, which left untreated can lead to kidney damage, renal failure, and death. Caught quickly, it can be treated with antibiotics and leaves no permanent damage.

If a vet visit rules out health problems, it could be territorial -- cat pheremone spray helps, and also Nature's Miracle, Petzyme, or the like to clean the area to help prevent a repeat. Also, you can play with the cat on the peed-on area, as then the association is a happy one, not a "this is mine, and nobody else can claim it NOW" mentality.

These methods sometimes don't work with hardcore territorial pee-ers and they just sometimes need a bedroom to themselves if they hate other animals in the house. Good luck!

Can anyone tell that I was looking into microfiber to see if it's cat pee proof? Sigh. Anybody know of a material that is? It's time to toss out sofa #2.

Old 08-18-06, 11:37 AM
vinyl. that's it. and even then, it could seep into the cushion somehow.

cat urine is the worst smelling stuff. once it's in the cushion, that's it. you all may be cleaning the fabric, but the smell is still in the cushion. and you may think you've got it taken care of, but you've just gotten used to it. believe me - your guests can still smell it! :P

Old 08-04-08, 06:56 PM
J
No worries. i have had my cats using my couch as a litter box a few times now in the last few days. if you need a quick home remedi try half vinegar half water solution to wash it. once dry sprinkle baking soda over the stinky spot and then pour a generous amount of hydrogen peroxide over top. the baking soda will help with odor and the hydrogen peroxide will eliminate bacteria which is causing the odor. Also go to a pet store and buy an enzyme odor remover cleaner.
No guarantees however so far it seems to be working. It sure beats buying a new couch.
Oh and if your wondering, the contaminated couch is a light tan microfibre - none of the cleaning techniques damaged the couch, i was scared the hydrogen peroxide might bleach the color out a little but it looks like new.

Old 08-04-08, 11:45 PM
i would suggest against..pouring anything into the couch and cushion and then leaving it..if any urine remains it will push it deeper and out of reach into the cushion. Once you get rid of the odor of the urine..the salts that are left behind are usually the source of any visible stain or returning odor. Salt attracts moisture and that is the problem. So, whatever remedy you try..you really need to pull it out either with a small diy machine or shop vac. As suggested enzyme cleaner will work wonders...just give it time to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: