Bug Spray Odor in Carpet

Old 06-23-05, 03:04 PM
lynndieloo
Visiting Guest
Bug Spray Odor in Carpet

Hi Everyone,

About five days ago, there was a large flying roach in my apartment. My neighbor got out his can of bug spray to kill it. Well, the spray stunned it, sort of. . . Anyway, the bug is gone, but I'm left with bug spray residue in my carpet. I tried to clean the area (about 10") with my little steam cleaner, but that seems to have made the odor worse. I keep the window open in order to ventilate the room--that doesn't seem to do the trick. The problem is that this odor is in my bedroom, and I'm highly allergic to chemicals so I can't sleep in the room. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do now?

Lynn

Old 06-23-05, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best thing to do is to flush with plenty of water and continue to do so. Sounds like to me that maybe there is alot of the residue in the carpet and when the water hit it. It reactivated the odor and the machine was not able to remove all of it. Some DIY machines just are not up to the task. Ventalation over time will help. Depending on the spray..there could be a variety of agents used. I havent run into this in the past. So, for now this is all i can suggest. I will have to do some further research. I would try again flushing with cool water and making plenty of dry passes with the machine. Be careful not to overwet the carpet and force the odor into the padding.

Old 06-23-05, 07:35 PM
T
If bug spray was oil-based, you will need to blot affected area with rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, dry cleaning fluid or other solvent. Test first in inconspicuous area for any ill effects on carpet dye. Blot from outside toward center to prevent spreading. Blot with white rag. Do not rub carpet fibers. Oil and water do not mix. If bug spray was water-based (no oily residue), the steam cleaner should have removed it.

Old 06-24-05, 01:21 AM
I talked to a few friends today, who have handled this. As indicated if the spray was water based. You will need to find a good water base carpet spotter. Test, apply, dwell 10-15 mins and extract. As far as they said this is what would work the best. I would check at your local home improvement store, most of them will have a commerical cleaning section check there for a quality water base (general) spotter.

Old 06-24-05, 03:03 PM
lynndieloo
Visiting Guest
Hi Docduck and twelvepole,

Hey, thanks for the helpful responses. Twelvepole, you talked about whether or not the spray was oil-based. Yes, it was oil-based. You also mentioned using rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol. If I use plain 'ol rubbing alcohol, does it matter what strength I use or would denatured alcohol be a better solution? Also, if the residue seeped into the padding (which I think happened when I used my steam cleaner), do I need to pull the carpet back and blot the padding too?

Old 06-24-05, 09:47 PM
Applying the rubbing alcohol at full strength is ok as long as you apply it to the rag only then blot. Rubbing alcohol is a solvent...putting too much of a solvent directly into the carpet may damage it. As far as the padding..its basicly a giant sponge. If it has gotten into it. You can try flushing it out and leaving it pulled back to dry. But sometimes the padding is better replaced.

Old 06-27-05, 04:51 PM
T
As it was a bug 'spray' and not a bug spray spill, it is doubtful it got into padding. The oil-based spray is clinging to carpet fibers. As indicated, blot fibers. Do not rub. Use any strength rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, dry cleaning or other solvent. Test first in an inconspicuous spot for ill effects on dye. If in doubt, call a carpet cleaning professional.

Old 06-30-05, 11:11 AM
lynndieloo
Visiting Guest
Hi docduck and twelvepole,

Well, I tried using rubbing alcohol. It seemed to remove some of the oiliness, but the odor remains. I pulled the carpet back to check the padding and I think that when I used my steam cleaner, some of the residue seeped into it. I'm at my wits end here. I've tried everything to get rid of this odor. I even bought this can of charcoal based gel that's supposed to get rid of odors--including solvent odors, but even that didn't work. I've tried ventilating the room during the day, which makes the odor dissapate a little bit, but when I check it out in the morning, the odor is still quite strong.
I found this product called "Capture," a carpet cleaning kit that's supposed to remove odors. Has anyone had any experience using this?

Old 06-30-05, 01:32 PM
Capture is that the powered dry cleaning system you are talking about? If so, its supposed to absorb odors. But you really have to have a good vac and some patientence with that stuff. Never really used it much thou.

Old 07-01-05, 02:02 PM
T
If oily bug spray has been absorbed into carpet cushion, to totally eliminate it you will need to replace a section of the cushion if odor absorbers fail to absorb odor.

Old 07-01-05, 03:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
My boss owns rental property and we deal with carpet spills all the time and we treat them almost all the same way if it has penetrated the carpet backing into the pad: Roll back the carpet, clean both sides of the carpet and replace the pad.

Old 07-12-05, 06:03 PM
lynndieloo
Visiting Guest
Hi Everyone,

Well, I cleaned the affected area with Capture. Actually Capture seems to be a good product. It got the carpet really clean. It did remove most of the odor, but not completely. Twelvepole, I think I'm going to have to do as you suggested--remove a section of the padding and replace it new padding. Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Lynn

Old 07-13-05, 01:56 PM
When removing the padding check the subfloor to see what condition it is in. And to see if it requires cleaning. This would be the perfect time to do this. You may also want to consider sealing the subfloor. That way any odors that can not be removed by cleaning on the subfloor are sealed in and this will also protect it from future spills or accidents.

Old 07-14-05, 06:23 PM
lynndieloo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Docduck. I'll keep that suggestion in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: