Olive oil spilt on new floor tiles/grout help

Old 06-26-05, 10:53 AM
axwhale
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Olive oil spilt on new floor tiles/grout help

I have had a new tiled floor laid. However I dropped a bottle of olive oil onto it. The oil went into the grouting even after scrubbing I could not get it out. The colour of the grout is light grey and where the oil was spilt its now very dark grey spoils the whole floor. Any ides on how to get it out or to lighten the colour.?
Thanks.

Old 06-27-05, 05:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will need a poultice to remove oil from grout. A poultice is a mixture of water and poultice clay. Poultice is rubbed into stains and covered with plastic. After 24 hours slits are cut into plastic to allow poultice to dry and pull the oil stains out. This tends to required repeated efforts.

The poultice is mixed to a consistency of peanutbutter and spread over stains 1/4 to 1/2" thich with spatula. Poultice may be me from kaolin, fuller's earth, whiting, diatomaceious earth, or talc. Often a poultice made from baking soda and water is effective or one of the powdered poultice materials and mineral spirits (test mineral spirits in inconspicuous place first for ill effects on grout dye). If in doubt about poultice materials, check with your local tile or stone dealer or online for a commericial poultice for removing oil stains from natural stone and grout.

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-11-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-11-05, 02:14 PM
axwhale
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Sound advice

Thankyou Twelvepole for all your help much appreciated. Will try what you suggest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: