Mold in BBQ Grill

Old 07-03-05, 09:36 AM
dmarcantuono
Visiting Guest
Mold in BBQ Grill

Thank you for previous help. I was unable to reply back to it however, so this new post.

If possible I am looking for definitive help on this, as mold in a cooking appliance is obviously not meant for a guessing game.

How should I clean out the mold, once I dispose of briquettes? Use 10% bleach? If I do this, are you saying that 30 minutes of high heat will kill any bleach residue and any remaining mold residue? Is this safe or am I better off getting rid of this bbq grill and buying new one? Doing the latter is quite an espensive solution to this problem.

Thank you.
dmarcantuono

Old 07-03-05, 06:47 PM
NJNancy
Visiting Guest
Mold in BBQ

I researched a number of sites on the web last year when I had a problem with mold in my crawlspace. There are a number of good "remove mold" or "clean mold" sites that detail removal of mold. You might just check them to feel secure. What I found is that most or all mold only needs soap & water to remove it. Though some sites say to use bleach. I used a spray bleach/cleaner from the dollar store (I added a little more bleach) because the thought of mold is disgusting. I sprayed everything down with the bleach/cleaner and then rinsed. One warning - it would be wise to use a filter mask that you would use for spray painting or sanding. You shouldn't inhale any mold. And make sure the BBQ is outside vs. in your garage, etc. If your charcoal is bad I would just throw it out because it would absorb the cleaner & stink. Also, I would think that if you got a real good heat going in the BBQ, closed the cover and let it go for a while; everything would be gone. Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-05, 07:45 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As indicated, dispose of charcoal and spray interior of grill with bleach water solution and let set to kill mold. Then, rinse interior and let dry in the sun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: