removing gummy adhesive

Old 07-04-05, 11:05 AM
dbrooks
Visiting Guest
removing gummy adhesive

I'm having trouble removing a gummy adhesive from my drywalls. The adhesive was on the back of peel-off decals that my daugther put on the walls. I've tried Fantastick and finger nail polish remover.
Any Ideas???

Old 07-05-05, 08:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rubbing or denatured alcohol should do the trick. Some window cleaners will also work.

Old 07-07-05, 08:59 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you used acetone-based fingernail polish remover it should have done the trick. Any solvent cleaner should remove adhesive residue. The trick is to give it time to dissolve the residue. As indicated, denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol or any other available household solvent cleaner should be successful if given time to dissolve the residue. Just be patient and give the solvent time to dissolve the residue. Wipe from outside the stain toward the middle to prevent spreading. If you are planning to paint, you might want to consider sanding the affected areas and priming with primer/sealer like Zinnser so there will be no adhesion problems.

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-08-05 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-09-05, 09:22 AM
D
I've used Goo-gone, and it's worked wonderfully...... just have to let it sit.

Blessings,
Debbie Long

Old 07-13-05, 12:00 PM
N
a product called Goof-Off will remove the residue. careful with this as it will also remove dried latex paint if you rub enough.

Old 07-13-05, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd try paint thinner first. It's a mild solvent that should cut the gummy adhesive fairly easily with a little rubbing, and it shouldn't affect your wall paint. As mentioned, goof-off (and nail polish remover) will likely take off some paint if you rub vigorously. If the paint thinner doesn't do the trick, then I'd recommend goof-off as well, but be careful about rubbing too hard.

Old 07-16-05, 06:13 AM
kmug500
Visiting Guest
Removing gummy adhesive

PEANUT BUTTER!!!!! Put peanut butter on gummy area, leave over night. Clean pb off in the morning. The gummy stuff just rolls right off. Kelly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: