stainless steel stove hood

Old 07-09-05, 07:29 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stainless steel stove hood

Hi new to forum! I have an old mobile home. The stove hood is stainless steel and has rust spots. Can anyone tell me how to refurbish this old hood?

Old 07-09-05, 02:45 PM
T
Stainless steel is a corrosion resistant chromium/nickel alloy steel that is strong and durable. However, it is not rustproof. With regular cleaning and wiping dry of surfaces, you can prevent rust. Should rust develop, it should be removed immediately to prevent pitting. Cleaning keeps the stainless steel's protective chromium oxide layer intact and prevents corrosion. Any cleaner safe for glass is usually safe for stainless steel. Avoid steel wool, sandpaper, mineral acids, bleaches, chlorine cleansers, and abrasives.

If rust is visible but has not begun to pit, you can remove with a quality metal polish like Simichrome. If stainless steel has brushed finish, rub in direction of grain. Rub gently. On high gloss finished stainless steel, where you rub may be noticeable. If pitting has occurred, naval jelly is recommended to remove rust. To remove pitting damage a Scotchbrite pad may work. Again, rub in direction of existing grain. To prevent further corrosion, apply auto wax ever so often depending upon amount of cleaning and usage.

Old 07-09-05, 08:26 PM
K
Without a vivid description we can only guess the metal, and the level of corrosion.

If that's really stainless steel, then mechanical removal (sanding off, essentially) of the rusted, discoloured surface is the way to go. Twelvepole mentioned some mild abrasives, but I think stainless that's reached a state we'd call "rusted" will need courser. It can be cut back to fresh bright metal, and then polished with ever finer abrasives for a mirror finish or whatever you please.

However, I doubt this range hood with rust spots is the costly alloy *stainless steel*. More likely steel with a chrome plating. That would look mainly sleek and shiny-new, but characteristically rusty in the spots where plating flaked off, as exposed plain steel rusts quickly in a kitchen. In this case, any kind of scouring will further loosen the protective chrome, and of course where it's gone it's gone forever. Such a range hood isn't worth the effort and complication of restoration.

Old 07-10-05, 09:38 AM
M
Unhappy stainless steel hood

Thanks for the advice!!!!

momme

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: