Cleaning old cotton felt sofa?

Old 07-09-05, 04:31 PM
Songbird
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Cleaning old cotton felt sofa?

I have a very old, dirty cotton felt sofa [but I love it because it's unusual and I never find another one like it!] I had it cleaned many years ago by a man who came with a bucket with some sort of liquid and a sponge. I cannot remember his name or where I found him. The fabric body is 80% blended cotton felt & 20 % resin treated blended cotton felt. The pillows are 3% synthetic fiber & 97% shredded resin polyester fiber! It has a sheen to it and a definite nap. It's so old, I hate to spend a lot of money to have it cleaned. I put the arm covers in the washer and dryer and they came out beautifully!!! But I tried some upholstery cleaner foam from a can on the cushion and it dried stiff!!!!!! If I can't clean it up myself, I might as well get a new sofa. CAN I CLEAN THIS MYSELF???? Thanks for any help!

Old 07-09-05, 05:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When upholstery is in an over-all soiled condition it is always best to call a professional. And, if in doubt about what cleaners or cleaning methods to use, it is again best to call a professional.

Any DIY cleaning methods should be tested first in inconspicuous place for ill effects before proceeding. If arm covers are made of the same fabric and you put them in the washer, then a quality upholstery cleaner like Woolite might be effective. Always sponge with plain water to rinse and remove any residues that may cause fabric to dry stiff or to attract soil and cause rapid resoiling.

Old 07-10-05, 08:07 AM
Songbird
Visiting Guest
I guess I made the felt sofa sound worse than it really is. It is old, but really just dirty on the arms and back cushions where we tend to rest our arms, so I guess it does just need spot cleaning. I really love the style of the sofa [spanish looking - very different from anything you can buy now!] But since it is a felt fabric with a nap to it, I figured I would have to do the whole thing. Does anyone have an idea what kind of solution I could try? I really don't want to try to replace it because I know I'll never find one this unique. Thank you.

Old 07-10-05, 03:11 PM
T
There are many commercial upholstery cleaning products available. My preference has always been Woolite. Whatever cleaner you choose, sponge with plain water to rinse. Avoid oversaturating the upholstery in order to avoid getting padding wet. A blow dryer will expedite drying.

If you would like to make your own homemade upholstery cleaner: Whip with wire whisk or hand-held mixer: 1 cup warm water & 1/4 cup liquid dish soap without bleach. Mix until there are lots of dry suds. Use soft cloth soft bristled brush to massage foam into inconspicuous spot on upholstery to test for ill effects and let dry. If you see no change in color or texture, keep cleaning. Once you have finished with the upholstered piece, wipe with sponge or white rag and plain water to rinse. Squeeze rag nearly dry before wiping. Fabric should be dry before using. A fan or blow dryer will expedite drying.

Old 07-11-05, 08:39 AM
Songbird
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by twelvepole
There are many commercial upholstery cleaning products available. My preference has always been Woolite. A fan or blow dryer will expedite drying.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, TWELVEPOLE!!! I can't wait to try your advise. That explains why the guy who cleaned it many years ago brought big room fans with him to speed up drying! Thanks again!

Old 07-11-05, 11:44 AM
The area became stiff after you cleaned it due to the residue left in the uph. Flushing this area with water before you clean the rest of it would be best. Or using a acid based cleaner, as long as it has no ill effects on the uph. Will remove the residue

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: