Cleaning Granite Countertops

Old 07-11-05, 02:22 PM
new home 33
Visiting Guest
Cleaning Granite Countertops

I am looking for the best way to clean the countertops in my kitchen. I can't get them shine like the did when we first got them. Also, if you have any thoughts on a ceramic sink. It is black and always looks cloudy!

Many thanks!!

Old 07-11-05, 05:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite must be maintained with products safe for natural stone products. These are pH neutral. Avoid acid-based cleaners like vinegar which can etch and dull surface. Avoid abrasive cleaners. Wipe up all spills immediately. Granite countertops need to be kept sealed with penetrating sealer recommended for natural stone. Most kitchens do not require this more than once or twice a year. This will help to minimize staining, especially oil-based stains. To test to see if granite needs resealing, sprinkle a few drops of water on stone. If water is absorbed by stone it is time to recoat with a couple coats of sealer according to label directions. There are natural stone polishes which can be used to restore shine before resealing. Check with your local stone dealer or home center for care and maintenance products for natural stone.

Porcelain sinks can lose their shine to abrasive cleaners and hard water mineral deposits. Baking soda and water paste tends to be the mildest abrasive cleaner. Apply with soft cloth or sponge to clean, rinse, and dry. Keep sink clean and dry after each use. Keep waxed with auto wax to seal, maintain shine, and provide sheeting action.

Old 07-12-05, 07:49 AM
new home 33
Visiting Guest
Thanks, these are inherited and we used to have regular ones in the old place!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: