mold on antique oak furniture

Old 07-18-05, 07:57 AM
roseyposey
Visiting Guest
mold on antique oak furniture

flooding damaged my basement and I have mold all over
my antique oak furniture and oriental rugs. what is the safest way to remove mold on these. what about hydrogen peroxide?

Old 07-20-05, 08:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and mildew stains tend to be next to impossible to remove from fabrics and fibers. Enzyme cleaners, which digest organic stains, are not recommended for wool because it is organic. Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach and can affect unstable dyes. If stains in wool rugs are not severe, blotting with lemon juice or white vinegar may be effective. Always test any DIY method firsts in inconspicuous area. If stains are not severe, a consultation with a professional rug cleaner may be in order.

All surfaces of wood furniture both inside and out can be wiped a section at a time with bleach/water solution to clean and disinfect. Do one section at a time and wipe dry. Test first in inconspicuous place for ill effects. If musty odors persist, any unsealed surfaces such as on drawer boxes and inside cabinet boxes can be sealed with a couple coats of sealer.

Any surfaces with mold and mildew in flooded basement should be disinfected. Running fans improves air circulation and expedites drying. Running dehumidifier will remove excess humidity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: