aftermath of a toilet flood

Old 07-29-05, 04:35 PM
chusifer
Visiting Guest
aftermath of a toilet flood

Hi, so our toilet flooded like mad the other day without us knowing. so after cleaning up all the water...is there anything in particular we should pay attention to? for one...its starting to smell a bit around here. could be from the wet carpet (which is getting cleaned tomorrow)...but are there other things i need to look for? thanks!

Old 07-29-05, 10:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A question, first - it was clean water that flooded, not sewage?

Assuming the above question is answered yes, your biggest problem is going to be getting evrything dried out so it doesn't mold. First thing I would do is pull up the carpet that you mentioned. When carpet gets wet, you can often save the carpet with cleaning, but the pad will probably have to be replaced if the water soaked into it. What else got wet?

Old 07-30-05, 02:01 AM
chusifer
Visiting Guest
hmm...im assuming most of it was clean water. it wasnt noticibly colored as far as i could tell. but either way, pretty much all of the floor got wet. the floor is tiled (linoleum-ed)...im a little worried about the corners and edges tho. everything 'looks' dry to me. it does smell in the bathroom tho....moreso than usual i think. the carpet is getting cleaned tho, so that should be ok. its just the smell...is driving me crazy. thanks!

Old 07-30-05, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The felt backing of the lino is most likely damaged. And will have to be replaced. I agree that the carpet will have to be pulled back and the padding checked..Sometimes it can be saved but most of the times its shot. Sealing the subfloors may also be needed to prevent water damage depending on the subfloor material. I wouldnt worry as much as cleaning the carpet now. But drying the carpet. You may also want to look at any wall damage. Mold can form inside of the walls...were over time it will cause health concerns.

Old 07-30-05, 12:45 PM
chusifer
Visiting Guest
wuts kinds of things can i do to prevent mold? im just renting this place for another year, and since this is our problem, i think we have to cover all the costs. and being poor college kids, neither me nor my roommates can really afford to replace our bathroom floor. the walls 'look' good to me, but then again, i dont kno anything

Old 07-30-05, 04:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You're renting? Talk to your landlord. This is for two reasons: First, I believe you are obligated (morally, if not legally) to let him (her?) know his property has been damaged. Second, if the leak was not caused by you or your roommate, fixing the damage is probably not your responsibility.

Old 07-30-05, 07:41 PM
T
Landlord should be notified immediately of the problem. If the toilet overflowed without your knowledge, then there may be a plumbing problem such as a clogged pipe.

As indicated, carpet should be pulled back to allow everything to dry out. Run fans to expedite drying. A dehumidifier would be helpful, too, to expedite drying. If water got under linoleum there will be trapped water and mold & mildew beneath. Mold & mildew and associated odors can occur within 24-48 hours.

Old 07-31-05, 01:05 AM
chusifer
Visiting Guest
the toilet overflowed cause someone clogged it...and he didnt realize he clogged it, so water was just running everywhere. the toilet works fine, as we have been using it for a few days now. so the plumbing seems to be allright, our friend just threw too much down the crapper

but yes, we told our landlord. he just told us to get the carpet cleaned...thats about it. so im not entirely sure what else should be done. but the carpet was cleaned today...and it seems as if the smell is coming from within the bathroom. if its from the lino...ugh, we're screwed haha

Old 08-04-05, 02:36 PM
If the carpet and lino are not pulled back to see what condition the subfloor is in...mold and mildew will form..depending on if its a wood subfloor it can also cause damage to it..making the subfloor in need of replacement..in other words..if this isnt done..eventually it will have to be done..but it will be much more expensive..check to see if covered by renters insurance

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: