Mold removal from nylon/canvas backpack

Old 08-13-05, 05:50 AM
phillythekid
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Mold removal from nylon/canvas backpack

I have a black nylon/canvas hiking backpack that was packed away for almost 2 years. It now has some mold discolorations on it. Some mold places were "fuzzy" while others were just "white" looking. I searched on internet for cleaning methods, but didn't quite find something I think would help me. I've brushed off what I could, and most is gone. The "fuzzy" places are gone, but now they're just discolored. (I know not gone/dead, just discolored). I've placed the backpack in the sun, but it isn't damp, so there's nothing to dry. I've seen that bleach will kill mold so I could use a toothbrush to brush it on, but since the nylon/canvas are both black, it would leave "bleach" spots. Does anyone have any recommendations that would spare a fairly expensive backpack from getting worse, but not showing signs of bleach exposure? (I'm in Germany, so just going to the store and asking for help, would be very difficult.) Thank you.

Old 08-16-05, 08:21 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and mildew stains on fabrics tend to be impossible to completely remove. At best you can expect to lighten them. An old-fashioned remedy was lemon juice and salt and placing item in sun. Enzyme digester cleaners are often effective on mold & mildew stains. Bleach is frequently recommended for 'killing' mold and mildew, but there are other disinfectants such as alcohol, Lysol, and others that tend not to affect color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: