HELP..removal of water stains in car upholstery

Old 08-16-05, 05:00 PM
InNeedOfHelp
Visiting Guest
Exclamation HELP..removal of water stains in car upholstery

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone new anything about how to get water stains out of car upholstery. It seems as though any time even a drop of water falls onto the seats of the car, those spots become darker than the rest of the upholstery with an added touch of an even darker ring around the entire stain. If anyone could help that would be very much appreciated!! Thank you.

Old 08-17-05, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if we are talking just regular fabric..there are serveral things that can cause this.

Soil: the water when it enters the fabric is "pushing" the soil away from the wet area...thus the ring. Requiring cleaning

Fabric itself: Some fabris when wet or when they get wet. Will do this and require cleaning.

Unstable dyes: not too often some fabrics have unstable dyes, were dye damage can be caused by excessive moisture, wrong cleaning chemicals used or wrong temp used. You see this more thou in carpets and furniture vs car uph thou

My advice to you would be to lightly...key is lightly cleaning the affected area with a good general cleaner designed for the cars uph. Dry as quick as you can. I would use a extractor or sometimes carwashes have the ones hooked to the wet dry vacs. Should do the trick.

If not a acidic cleaner...no not ACID itself. But a uph cleaning with a acidic pH would also help. I would try the general cleaner first thou.

GL

Old 08-18-05, 01:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Auto fabric upholstery is usually quite durable and can be cleaned with water-based cleaners. As indicated, the upholstery likely needs an overall cleaning. This can be done with a commercial upholstery cleaner. Spray directly on upholstery, let set 5-10 minutes then, wipe with damp, white, terry cloth towel. Continue to wipe until no more soil comes off on towel. Rinse towel as needed. A reapplication of upholstery may be necessary. There are also commercial auto upholstery cleaning services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: