blood on couch upholstery?

Old 08-17-05, 06:53 PM
shambelle
Visiting Guest
blood on couch upholstery?

Hello.

I have a cat who sneezed blood on my couch (poor cat and poor couch!). It's a beige couch with a kind of paisley pattern on it. The problem is, I couldn't do anything about it (it happened on Friday morning, and I was on my way out of town) at the time.

Now that I'm home, what can I do? It's not a huge spot, but it's lots of little dots all over the 3 couch cushions, and also on one of the back ones as well. I can always flip the cushions, and I'm going to get a slipcover, but I didn't know if there was something really good I could try as well.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Old 08-18-05, 07:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK, if you can remove the cover from the cushion without a headache do that. As long as the uph isnt a very delicate material ie: silk, or 100 cotton.

You can place the covers on a counter top and get a protein or enzyme based cleaner. You can get this from your local home improvement store or pet stores. Treat the areas let sit 10-15 mins then rinse the covers under the tap with COOL water..do not use warm or hot as it may set the pigment from the blood in. You can also use hydrogen peroxide, BUT you have to be careful peroxide can also have a bleaching effect if used too strong, left on too long or if used in correctly. So, safest thing in my mind is the protein spotter. Most covers you can not just toss in the washing machine.

If you can not remove the covers from the cushion. You may try applying the hydrogen peroxide on a rag then blotting. After the spots are gone rinse with cool water. Dumping anything on the covers with the cushions in place may push the blood into the cushion. So, if you can remove them thats better.

As always test any cleaning in a hidden area ie: backing, skirt..

GL

Old 08-18-05, 01:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As indicated, enzyme digester cleaner tends to be effective on blood stains. The cleaner is water-based. Some upholstery fabric requires solvent cleaning only (solvent cleaners will not remove blood). Check your manufacturer's label for recommended cleaning method. If there is no label or type of fabric is unknown, test first in inconspicuous area for ill effects. Let test area dry thoroughly and check before proceeding.

Old 08-18-05, 02:56 PM
shambelle
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I actually have a pet stain enzyme cleaner which I might try. I can remove the covers, so I better get to work!

Old 08-22-05, 02:43 PM
charlie&bobby
Visiting Guest
Just a though, if you try wetting the stain & thencovering with salt sometimes this absorbs the blood from the material.

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-23-05 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-28-05, 06:08 PM
shambelle
Visiting Guest
Nature's Miracle for cats enzyme cleaner did the trick!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: