mold on wood

Old 08-25-05, 08:50 PM
mac169
Visiting Guest
mold on wood

I took down the walls in my bathroom because of a mold problem. There is some mold on the studs but not too bad. I was told that Bleach would not kill mold on wood. Can you give me advice on what to use to treat it before putting up the greenboard. Thanks

Old 08-26-05, 12:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A enzyme based cleaner will help with removing the mold/mildew. Apply let sit 10-15 mins using a spray bottle of cool water rinse afterwards. I would be rather concerned with just cleaning the wood thou. Mold/mildew left in homes has been prooved to cause heath issues. If it is a small contamination, i would also consider sealing the wood to prevent it spreading. Make sure you check the surrounding areas for moisture. You may want to call a professional or rent a moisture meter to check the surrounding areas. You would be amazed the amount of moisture that can still be found that the naked eye or feeling the wood would miss.

Replacing is always the most certain way to prevent heath concerns. If it is from a leak. You insurance should cover it.

Old 08-27-05, 11:41 AM
mac169
Visiting Guest
thanks docduck, the drywall was the biggest problem and that is all gone. The studs have a small amount here and there, but don't seem to be that bad. How would I seal the wood? I am going to put up greenboard for the walls and cement board behind the shower. The leak is fixed.

Old 09-21-05, 11:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bleach is effective for killing mold and mildew on wood. Studs can be sprayed with bleach/water solution. Once the wood is dry, proceed with installation of concrete underlayment in shower area and the green board.

Old 09-24-05, 06:33 PM
mac169
Visiting Guest
thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: