Black smudge on bathroom tiles

Old 09-17-05, 04:07 PM
Laurie8801
Visiting Guest
Black smudge on bathroom tiles

Hi,

I have owned a condo for about 2 months and when I moved in, I noticed some black smudges on the bathroom tiles behind the vanity - the tiles aren't chipped or scratched but the black won't come off. I can't tell what the black is and have tried several different cleaning products as well as WD-40 to get it off.

Does anyone have any clues as to what the black could be and any ideas on how to get it off the tiles?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!

Old 09-17-05, 08:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laurie8801,

Have you tried TSP or the Orange product that is for Shop/Garage?

Old 10-28-05, 07:56 PM
S
Black smudges...

Might be tar globules from the roof...if you are on the top floor...good luck...

Old 10-31-05, 07:16 PM
cuzndan
Visiting Guest
hit it with pure clorox and when it turns the color you want wash it down

Originally Posted by Laurie8801
Hi,

I have owned a condo for about 2 months and when I moved in, I noticed some black smudges on the bathroom tiles behind the vanity - the tiles aren't chipped or scratched but the black won't come off. I can't tell what the black is and have tried several different cleaning products as well as WD-40 to get it off.

Does anyone have any clues as to what the black could be and any ideas on how to get it off the tiles?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!
shoot it up with pure clorox and when it is removed wash down with soap and water

Last edited by cuzndan; 10-31-05 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-05, 07:26 PM
cuzndan
Visiting Guest
bathroom

can i go over an old bathroom counter with new laminate as long as it is sanded well???

Old 11-02-05, 05:50 PM
loomatic
Visiting Guest
Have you tried the Mr. Clean Eraser? I had some black stuff on my tub, and the eraser worked really well.

Old 11-03-05, 12:39 AM
I would be careful with dumping pure bleach on anything. The smell alone would make the bathroom unbareable for hours. Bleach will not always "bleach" things the way you think it will. Bleach is water based cleaner. If its a oil based spot...its not going to work. I would try a solvent cleaner with a microfiber towel. The erasers that people are talking about may work, as all they are is microfiber sponges. What kind of tile is it?

Old 11-06-05, 12:08 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If black smudge has been fired into the glaze of the tile it is impossible to remove. Glaze is placed on tile before firing and can be easily smudged. If this is the case, the tile setter should have not used this tile.

Old 11-22-05, 10:00 PM
liquid303
Visiting Guest
try using a bit of acetone on a rag and see if that works. if it is under the glaze then theres not much you can do, but even that is fixable but id get a professional before you attempt a project like that, you could turn something thats not bad to somehting thats a nightmare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: