Wood stain on carpet

Old 09-21-05, 01:02 PM
camerons
Visiting Guest
Wood stain on carpet

Water got in through an open window in my basement and the wood stain on some furniture soiled my carpet. I have tried to remove the stains using turpentine and rubbing alcohol. Neither worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove the stain?

Thanks.

Old 09-21-05, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This type of stain is one of the hardest to remove. Furniture stains are mostly organic based, but protein cleaners are ineffective on them. Solvents like you used are also ineffective on them.

Rinse the carpet well of any prior attempts.

Hydrogen peroxide 20% volume (can be found at local beauty salons) mixed 1:1 with ammonia can sometimes work. This solution is safe i have used it in the past. A heat transfer method is usually suggested with this. This method involves applying the solution to the carpet. Taking a rag double folding it..soaking it in hot water, wringing it out..Then taking your iron (set on the lowest steam setting) placing the rag over the stain and then the iron on the rag for no more than 15 seconds at a time. Remove heat and rag and check rag for transfer..this may take some time. Beaware depending on your carpet type..this should only be attempted if you are 100% comfortable with this. If your carpet is olefin or polyester..these carpets have low melting points and can be damaged easier. Other carpet types can also be damaged easily by this method.

OR there are serveral products available out there on the commerical and residential cleaning markets that will remove this if used correctly. Stain magic is one of the ones that comes to the top of my head. There is also a verison for wool and synthetic carpets..choose the one that suits you best.

ANd my last suggestion...if you dont want to tackle this on your own..call a carpet cleaning professional.

As always...any stain in a carpet can never be predicted to be able to be removed 100%

Good luck

Old 09-21-05, 09:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unless your carpet fibers were solution dyed while in their molten state, it is likely that 20% hydrogen peroxide, an oxygenating bleach, will affect carpet dye. Test first in inconspicuous area before proceeding. If in doubt, call a professional carpet cleaner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: