Old windows

Old 09-27-05, 12:01 PM
snap!!
Visiting Guest
Old windows

I have some old windows in my apartment (I think about 150 years old) that have a dull, cloudy, spotty appearance. Normal glass cleaning products do not seem to make them any better. I have also tried mineral turpentine, and toothpaste as well without success. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what could brighten them up?

Old 09-27-05, 03:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This may be a condition that has something to do with the glass itself. Never dealt with windows of that age. But im sure manufactoring back then was different than now. This appearance may be due to age or something in the glass itself. Besides any paint or another containate being on them. Normal windex should remove it. Try rinising all of the turpentine off of it. That is a solvent and is not really going to help the windows. Water based products should work well here. If you have a choice and want to replace the windows, that may be prudent..to save on heating costs.

Old 09-28-05, 07:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
The only suggestion I have is the glass cleaner I use - 1 part distilled water, 1 part distilled white vinegar and 2 parts isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. If this doesn't clean the windows, I think docduck is going to be right on with the idea that there is something in the glass itself.

Old 09-29-05, 04:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exterior glass that has become pitted from acid rain and air pollution tend to appear cloudy. This can not be removed with window cleaners. Glass polish or wax may minimize the cloudy appearance, but pitting and etching is permanent.

Old 09-30-05, 03:33 PM
snap!!
Visiting Guest
Thanks - I think it is the effects of acid rain etc, so I will give the polish and wax a go. Normal cleaners haven't worked yet so far. Thx.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: