Red Candle Wax on Unfinished Wood

Old 10-08-05, 07:59 AM
jalons11
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Red Candle Wax on Unfinished Wood

Someone please help!!! I have red candle wax that ran over onto an unfinished hard wood cabinet and it is now stained in several places. I know the easiest way to fix it would be to paint over it, but unfortunately, that is not an option. Is there any way to remove the stain without damaging the wood any further?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-05, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have removed all the harden wax which im sure you have. If not scrape away gently with plastic knife...or use a freeze spray for chewing gum removal to freeze and then chip away.

The dye in the wax sounds like it has penetrated the wood itself. Cleanings will most likely fall short of what you want. You may want to try a wood stripper designed for the wood that its made of. But i think in the end you will have to stain the cabnet.

Old 10-10-05, 10:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will be difficult to remove red candle wax that has penetrated wood. Hot wax has settled into the wood. A warm iron and paper towels may lift wax, but it may also set dye. Wood bleach may be effective on red dye, but wax may prevent bleach from reaching dye. Where wax has penetrated wood, there will likely be adhesion problems with stain and/or surface finish.