Problem with laminate flooring???

Old 10-31-05, 06:50 PM
Sue
Visiting Guest
Problem with laminate flooring???

undefinedWe installed floating laminate flooring in living room, dining room, dinette and hallway. After we installed it we were told to wash it with a laminate floor cleaner! We did and from that time on we have had a problem!!! The floor looks like it has a coating on it. We were told to try cleaning with just a mild dish soap and it has not helped!! When the floor is walked on, foot prints are left behind, especially dog prints!!! It never looks clean!!!!!!! I am a clean freak and love the floors when they are wet but when they dry their horrible. Please tell me you have a suggestion for this because I am ready to rip them out and replace but really don't want to go to that expense. The floors are only 3 years old, and not in a large traffic area but are seen right through the house from the front door!!! Other than this problem we love the floors and they are in perfect condition!!!! I told my husband I'm ready to varathane them, to help coat them or something!!! I know I shouldnt, but what can we do!!! Please Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-05, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you can't coat them with any kind of varathane or polyurethane. it won't stick.

i've always cleaned ours with the Clorox version of the Swiffer wet jet mop thing and have been pleased. sure, when anyone walks on it barefoot, or the dog walks on it, it gets smudged up, but any floor will.

if yours has any kind of odd greasy/waxy build-up on it, i think you can use vinegar & water on, but don't be getting it really wet. only use a slightly damp mop or the water will penetrate the seams & you'll have worse problems to deal with.

===> moving this post to Cleaning forum.....

Old 11-01-05, 10:42 AM
Sue
Visiting Guest
laminate floors

Thanks for the advice. I knew you can't put a coating of urethane etc. but was just trying to show my frustration I will try the vinegar and water though. Great place to have questions answered!!!!!!!!!!!! Will let others know!!!!!!!!!! Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 11-01-05, 12:11 PM
yup converntional finishes and sealers will not adhere to laminate. They come preinstalled wear layers that act as sealers during the floors life time. They can be repaired depending on the flooring...most are simply repaired with a wax crayon. I would contact your installer and check to see if there is a writtin instructions available for your floor. But until the finish is removed it will look hazy. Check to see what type of sealer it was that was put down. You will need to clean the floor with a cleaner of a higher pH to remove it.

Old 11-01-05, 01:37 PM
T
Plastic laminate can be cleaned with window cleaner, ammonia/water, or vinegar/water solution. Clean a section at a time. Toss an old towel on floor to dry before moving on to the next section. This makes for good exercise, too. Avoid soaps, detergents, waxes, oils, products containing wax or oil, and polishes. These will leave a residue that willl cause prints to show. Avoid overwetting floor.

http://doityourself.com/laminate/laminatecare.htm

Old 11-04-05, 01:49 PM
Sue
Visiting Guest
Problem with laminate flooring

Thanks for the advice!! I tried the vinegar/water solution but didn't have a lot of success!!! Can I keep trying it??? Everytime I wash the floors?? I'm afraid it might hurt the finish!! Not that it would make much of a difference! lol Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

Sue

Old 11-04-05, 01:51 PM
try the ammonia/water combo......

Old 11-04-05, 02:20 PM
what exactly is the problem? i mean, when you clean off all the footprints & smudges, what's left? is it cloudy or hazy or streaky or smudgey or waxy or what?

and what are you using to clean them? paper towels, sponges, some kind of mop?

i'd try nail polish remover and a paper towel & clean a 1x1 section with it & see if that takes off whatever film is there.

Old 11-04-05, 04:01 PM
Sue
Visiting Guest
Problem with laminate flooring

Thanks for your quick reply Annette

See, that's the problem. When I clean the prints etc, they don't come off!! The smudges on the floors from where the dog has slid for instance, won't come off! When I'm done washing it , it has a cloudy waxy look to it, more on the traffic areas. When you touch the floors they feel really clean. We are using a micro fiber cloth- you know the kind that you can use dry or damp. Thanks again, this is driving me nuts!!! lol

Old 11-06-05, 12:44 PM
T
It may be that the protective wear layer is worn. Check your warranty and contact the manufacturer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: