Mildew smell in house

Old 11-25-05, 07:45 AM
W
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Mildew smell in house

Im cleaning a house that has been unoccupied for some months and have a terrible mildew smell problem to deal with out there. There was mildew present in lots of furniture, mattresses, etc that I have removed, and the smell as subsided with the winter temperatures, but I dont know how to start to eliminate the problem if I decide to renovate it for rental purposes. surpisingly the basement is not wet, the sump hardly ran this year.

Old 11-25-05, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get a moisture meter and test the walls carpet...everything.. You have to locate the problem before you can solve it. Moisture meters can be found online or some professional carpet cleaners offer this service.

Old 11-25-05, 07:52 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to satisfy my curiosity:

Is this some house out in the woods? I have fond memories as a child to going to mildew smell laden cabins upnorth , that seldom ever saw the drying benefits of the overhead sun - due to trees - everywhere - overhanging the cabins.

Oh - and they were all crawl space constructed as well - so that if the flooring retained moisture in the rugs..............

Old 11-25-05, 08:34 PM
W
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Mildew smell

The house is not in the woods, but half of it is on a crawl space, THAT is where the smell is the most intense (over the crawl) This house DID have a plugged drain under the crawl...fixed last year...(this is a one story house with two flat roofs that intersect in an inverted "V" there are two drains in the "V" that go down two pipes that join in the middle of the crawl and go outside and down a hill. When they were plugged there was a ton of water that went under the crawl space...but it is free flowing now.

Old 11-26-05, 09:39 AM
what measures where taken when it was plugged

Old 11-26-05, 04:30 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soil in crawl space should be covered with 8 mil minimum polypropylene (plastic) vapor retarder. Houses that remain closed up without HVAC running to keep humidity and temperature at occupancy levels year round tend to develop mold and mildew problems. Disinfecting all surfaces affected by mold & mildew with bleach water solution is important. Improving ventilation by running fans will improve conditions. Humidity should be between 35-55%. If hygrometer measures humidity higher, then dehumidifier will lower humidity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: