cleaning older double pane windows

Old 12-02-05, 09:40 PM
txmom
Visiting Guest
Unhappy cleaning older double pane windows

Good friends just moved into a home (built early 80's) that has older aluminum double pain windows that are VERY dirty IN BETWEEN the panes. No cleaner will get the "foggy" look off of the interior or exterior. We live in South Texas (humid...very humid) and it looks like the humidity/dirt has settled in there. ANY ideas about solutions for cleaning?? They cannot afford to replace the many windows in the house. HELP!??!

Old 12-03-05, 07:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
glass cleaner with a microfiber cloth may help..if not you can try using a mineral cleaning product...i can not recall if clr is window safe...but sounds like years of build up from soil....check to make sure the haze is not due to someone scratching the glass using too abrasive of cleaner

Old 12-03-05, 08:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Are you able to get between the panes of glass? We use double pane energy efficient windows in our rental units and fogging in between the panes means the seal has been broken and the window needs to be replaced. In our case, their is no getting between the panes. If your windows are different and allow you access, docduck's solution should work.

kathann voted this post useful.
Old 12-03-05, 08:22 PM
txmom
Visiting Guest
thanks!

I will try the solution suggested, but I think it is possible that the fog is in between and probably means the seals are broken....the only thing is ...it is like that on ALL the windows. Hard to imagine that they all went bad at once, but I'll help them try the mineral cleaner and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 12-05-05, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
they also could be fogged up due to someone cleaning them with alot of water and then shutting them up before they were able to dry.. the seal wouldnt allow air flow in there...

Old 12-05-05, 07:46 AM
txmom
Visiting Guest
I hope to check them out again this week. I don't think we can get access to the space in between given they are so old.
I just feel bad for them since they JUST bought the house... and don't have the capital to replace all the windows now!
thanks again....

Old 12-05-05, 09:13 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Discoloration due to fogging between double pane windows is permanent. Once seal is broken and failed, windows fog. Cleaning is not an option. This problem will require replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: