Silver tableware and dishwasher soap

Old 12-10-05, 12:26 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Silver tableware and dishwasher soap

Is there any such thing as detergent for a dishwasher that will not turn sterling silver tableware dark? I keep my silver separated at least 2 sections away from anything stainless I'm also washing, but still have problems.

And while I'm asking, what brand polish would you recommend to remove the dark tarnish? Mine isn't doing that great a job...

Thanks.

Old 12-10-05, 12:44 PM
I have include a website that seems to cover your problem(s). Just click on the link below. Good luck.

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500345.html

Old 12-10-05, 01:44 PM
L
suggestions about specific detergent

Thanks, but I read that before I posted. My silverware is years old, so all the advice about early washings does not apply. As I mentioned, I already keep my silver separated from the stainless. I haven't used a separate rinse agent in a while because the detergent I use (Cascade) is supposed to have one in it. That's cheap enough to try so I will, but was hoping someone could clue me in on a different detergent that was good for silver.

Having said that, it's a moot point for the moment because my dishwasher just started crunching and there doesn't seem to be water coming in, so I'm off to the applicance section for advice...

Old 12-12-05, 11:12 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sterling silver tends not to fare well in a dishwasher. Hardwater minerals and detergents literally sandblast the silver. Handwashing and drying is best for maintaining silver's beautiful patina. If dishwasher is used, do not wash with stainless. Avoid lemon scented detergents, as citric acid can damage silver. Avoid detergents that contain chlorides. Remove from dishwasher before it clicks into drying cyle and hand dry. If silver is used regularly, it should need polishing only about twice a year with a quality silver polish like Wright's.

Old 12-12-05, 05:49 PM
L
Red face I'm a lemon lover!

Well now I know. I've used lemon scented detergent for ages and always let everything go thru the whole cycle; I guess you could call me lazy! I will mend my ways and see how my silver fares.

I have one other question. My everyday dishes are stoneware that I've had for 20+ years. I noticed yesterday when using a somewhat new silver spoon to eat with that the tip of the spoon looked a bit dark. I couldn't tell if it was copper or something else. Is that also part of the problem--is it not good to use silver with stoneware? I'll be really disappointed if so, because I don't have much china and would like to use my silver.

Thanks for all your help,
Beth

Old 12-13-05, 02:01 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Stoneware has a kiln-fired glaze and should have no effect on silver. Tarnish on silver can be removed with a quality silver polish. Sulfur in the air can cause tarnish. Sulfur is also present in some foods such as eggs, mayonnaise, and shellfish. When silver comes in contact with sulfur it turns yellowish, then brownish, and finally blackish. It is best to wash and dry silver immediately after use.

Old 12-13-05, 06:13 PM
L
Talking Guilty again!

I was eating eggs for breakfast and the dishes usually hit the sink until after I get home from work. I'm glad that I can still use my stoneware, but I eat a lot of eggs, so guess I'll have to at least rinse my silverware off after eating.

Thanks for solving my dilemmas!

Beth

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: