Removing tape residue from a mirror?

Old 12-29-05, 08:17 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Removing tape residue from a mirror?

I purchased a standing mirror for my wife and after assembly I noticed dark brown tape on the mirror. It formed an 'X' the entire length of the mirror. It seems to be a type of packing tape used on boxes, etc... I removed the tape, but a semi-transparent residue remains. I used Windex and iso alcohol in an attempt to remove it, but to no avail. The residue seems to disappear initially upon wiping Widex/alcohol on it, but it reappears within a few seconds. Any suggestions to rid ourselves of this "ghostly" residue? Thanks!!!

Old 12-30-05, 01:39 AM
Try the rubbing alcohol and a double edge razor blade...used on the dull side (cleaning edge) apply and gently scrap with the blade. Shouldnt take that much pressure. If that doesnt do the trick. Dry and hit it with mineral spirits.

Old 12-30-05, 01:40 PM
G
Thumbs up

What do you know. I returned from an appointment early this morning to discover my wife removed the residue with cooking oil. Cooking oil??? Whatever works!!! Thanks for the tip, Doc!

Old 12-31-05, 10:31 AM
cooking oil thats a new one i didnt hear of...thanks for sharing the tip

Old 01-09-06, 07:11 AM
J
I also find using a white eraser works well too...

Old 01-11-06, 06:43 AM
M
Goo Gone

Cooking oil! Wow I would never think to use that! There is a product out that is made to remove sticky residue. It's called Goo Gone and it has MANY uses and is wonderful!!!!

Old 01-22-06, 09:47 AM
U
I second the Goo Gone. It really works wonders!

Old 01-25-06, 07:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
another one that I use to get rid of that sticky mess from price tags, tape, etc, ... lighter fluid (I think mine if Ronson or something like that).... it has a lubricant in it and doesn't melt plastic, just the glue.. always worked for me.. even taking contact paper off, just lift an edge and squirt a little lighter fluid in as you pull lightly.. it melts the glue and off comes the contact paper..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: