Cat urine in wood plank flooring

Old 12-30-05, 04:06 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cat urine in wood plank flooring

Anyone know of a product or procedure to get rid of cat urine stain in hardwood floor that never seems to dry? Especially when humid weather conditions? (West PA)

I want to lay a carpet over part of the floor and it would go over this mess. I don't want the stink to ruin any new carpet I buy. I'd like to find a cure short of cutting the boards out and replacing!

Thanks in advance for any tips or help.

Old 01-02-06, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the only way you are going to get rid of the odor is upping the effected boards and seeing what the subfloor looks like. Sounds like to me the urine has soaked thru the boards onto/into the subfloor...and it continues to wick up. Since the subfloor does not get any airflow..any liquids that get under it can remain moist and damp..days,weeks, months...even YEARS later. I have seen this in many tile and wood floor applications. Believe me when i say the only way to get it done right..is to up the wood planks..you may have to replace not just the ones you see stained..but all the ones in the general area as the urine soaked outward as it went down...once done clean and seal the subfloor..a enzyme based product will work well on water safe subfloors...then seal the subfloor allow to dry..and replace the planks or even with some same thickens lumber since you are going to cover them up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: