cleaning wood floors

Old 12-31-05, 12:58 AM
netnet
Visiting Guest
cleaning wood floors

I know this is the most basic question ever, but I would like to hear your answers, from people who are not trying to sell a product. Just bought first house within the past year and had the wood floors sanded and Polyurethaned, (semi gloss). Ever since we cleaned it for the first time, we cannot get back that slippery, glossy, shiny look and feel. Tried murphy's oil soap and water, pine sol and water, and that horrible swiffer stuff. (sorry-bad mistake). What is best for that slippery luster, and a CLEAN wood floor? Thanks for taking me back to the basics!

Old 12-31-05, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Murphey's and the pine sol have dulled the finish. You will never get back the shine.

Several lightly dampened towels. a couple of dry towels. spot scrub with the dampened towel, to get the really nasty stuff and to loosen the dirt. Then wipe one direction with another damp towel, flip it over and wipe again in the same direction. Wiping back and forth just smears dirt and grime. Then buff that area with the dry towel.

Old 12-31-05, 09:30 AM
netnet
Visiting Guest
Thanks Perry!

Thanks. Bummed about the shine. And between my husband and I, we work 4 jobs, so I don't know if I have the heart to tell my cleaning lady to get down on all fours, but thanks for the useful advise!

Old 01-03-06, 04:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean floor with 2 cups white vinegar in one gallon water to remove residues left on floor. Do a section at a time with a mop squeezed nearly dry. Throw down an old towel and buff dry with foot before moving onto the next section. Once floor is clean, maintain with untreated cotton dustmop. Damp mop occasionally with a cleaner recommended for polyurethane finish or with 1 cup white vinegar in one gallon water. Avoid wax and oil and cleaners that contain wax or oil as they will soften and dull finish over time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: