bleach leaves yellow stain

Old 01-01-06, 11:04 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bleach leaves yellow stain

hey iam pretty depserate

my parents spent 31$ on this new era custom fitted hat for me. i got a stain on the visor of it. its a white hat. i used bleach and it turned yellow. all i have in my arsenal is water, bleach for colors, non chlorine bleach and normal bleach.

i have already tried scrubbing blech for colors on it. and i have let normal bleach sit on it for a day. i have let bleahc for colors sit on it for a day. i have combined them both and let it sit.

iam pulling my hair out please help

Old 01-02-06, 08:05 AM
sounds like to me the hat is made of wool or something similar...wool is damaged by bleach beyond cleaning..if its another similar natural fiber hat...im sure after all your efforts the stain is set

if the hat is not a natural fiber, please share what it is made of or a better description

but just off of what you said unfortunately i think its set or damaged

Old 01-03-06, 04:41 PM
T
Stain is likely permanent. Some fabrics and dyes are harmed by chlorine bleach.

Old 01-03-06, 05:03 PM
S
the hat is made of wool. now listen close. i got a yellow bleach stain on the bacc of the hat and it came off after scrubbing blech for colors on it. but on the visor it is discolored.

if this cant be cleaned, can i please have a tip for cleaning a wool white hat next time so i dont ruin it

Old 01-03-06, 05:08 PM
T
Wool can be washed in cool water and mild detergent. Woolite is a popular brand for washing wool. Rinse twice in cool water to remove residue. Squeeze dry in towel. Do not wring or twist. Air dry.

Try bleaching the yellow stain with 3% hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy.

Old 01-05-06, 04:33 PM
S
alright iam doing that right now. its making some kind of white and bubbling compound. do i let it sit or rinse immeadeatly?

Old 01-05-06, 04:49 PM
T
After about 15-20 minutes of hydrogen peroxide's exposure to air, it turns to water. 3% hydrogen peroxide is a mild oxygenating bleach.

Old 01-08-06, 02:43 PM
F
Have you tried Yellow Out? You can find it at the grocery store in their cleaning supplies section. They don't carry it at our Wal-Mart or Target...just the grocery.

I've used it on lots of yellowing stains on whites. It doesn't seem to work on other colors though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: