diaper odor

Old 01-03-06, 09:31 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
diaper odor

The smallest room in our home was used for a nursery for three kids. The oldest is now 12 and the room still smells like diapers. I have repainted, scrubbed, vacuumed and the odor still remains. The room has only one window--not much cross ventilation, and I open it as the climate allows. A ceiling fan has also been installed to increase circulation. There is ceiling heat and wood floors. Help
Actually, the youngest is 12, so there has not been diapers in that room for 10 years.

Last edited by susmel; 01-03-06 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-03-06, 02:56 PM
I take it the room has carpet as flooring? If there have been any spills or accidents onto the carpet. If its a synthetic fiber carpet. It will need a protein cleaner followed by a rinse. If there have been a major spill and problem. You may have to pull the carpet to clean/seal subfloor..major cleaning or replacement of the carpet. Cleaning the carpet with a protein cleaner (one that is designed for being a cleaner not a spotter) wouldnt hurt either. I would suggest either having it professional done..as DIY carpet machines lack the power to get the job done correctly. Or rent a commerical extractor and do some searching on the net for some instructions or just ask back here!

Old 01-03-06, 04:55 PM
T
If all surfaces have been cleaned and painted and odor remains, perhaps urine seeped beneath hardwood flooring into subfloor beneath. Perhaps running an air purifier or ozone machine in the room would eliminate the odor. Ozone machine should be run in an unoccupied room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: