biro on leather sofa

Old 01-04-06, 10:51 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face biro on leather sofa

hello, aine here just wondering does anyone know how to remove biro marks from a leather sofa. I have a very creative son.

Old 01-04-06, 11:54 AM
T
There are many different types of leathers, finishes, and dyes used to manufacture leather upholstery. Solvent cleaners can not be used on leather as they make leather dry and brittle and can damage finish and remove dye. Thus, the usual recommendation for removing biro (ballpoint) ink with rubbing alcohol or other solvent can not be used on leather. A leather cleaning professional is recommended.

Old 01-05-06, 11:20 PM
G
Try Linseed oil or go to a tack shop (horse supply store) they have many mild leather cleaners available, or try Homo milk on a clean rag, make sure you use a clean damp cloth to wipe clean if you use the milk.

Old 01-06-06, 07:36 AM
T
Oils or oil-based cleaning products will tend to discolor leather. Many remain on surface and prevent leather from breathing and tend to make leather brittle. Today's upholstery leathers vary in kind of leather, finishes, and dyes used. Saddle soap and linseed oil were often used to clean utilitarian leathers such as harnesses and tack. These leathers are not the same as leathers used in leather upholstery.

According to the Dept. of Agriculture the use of milk for ink removal is not effective and compounds laundry problems because milk leaves a protein stain. Testimonials to the contrary may be because today not all inks are created equal as some may be more washable than others. Milk is not recommended as a leather cleaner. It is always best to follow manufacturer's instructions. If in doubt contact a professional.

Old 01-12-06, 09:54 PM
G
When I purchased my vehicle it was owned by a salesman, who constantly threw papers and pens on the passenger leather seat. It was recomended by the auto detailer at my dealership that milk can subside ball point pen stains, pending the severity, always treat afterwards with a leather conditioner/preserver. However i did try it in an unconspicuous area first and it seemed fine.

Not trying to knock you twelvepole, your replies are unmostly respected

Old 01-13-06, 12:29 PM
T
It is good to know that milk can be used to remove ink on leather. Testing first is always recommended for DIY cleaning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: