Re: removing melted nylon from clothes

Old 01-17-06, 06:55 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: removing melted nylon from clothes

Hi,
I washed a pair of nylon sport pants and put them in the dryer.They completely melted and got over my entire load of clothes. It looks like black tar all over everything. Is there any way to remove that???

Old 01-17-06, 08:21 AM
You could try a dry cleaning solvent on each spot. Time consuming but the safest way. Solvents can remove coloring so test first. You may find that some of this is baked in and can not be removed. Another idea would be to get szome chewing gum freeze spray and freeze the areas to see if you can chip off most of it then use the dry cleaning solvent.

Old 01-18-06, 07:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If docduck's suggestions don't work, as a last resort only, I would put the clothes in the dryer again and take them out immediately to see if the heat softens the nylon to the point where you could peel it off the clothes. I certainly see the possibility that heating again would make things worse, that's why I said only as a last resort.

Old 01-18-06, 03:09 PM
T
Try covering affected areas with paper towels and try heating with warm iron to see if you have any luck heating and scraping off the melted nylon. And, as suggested follow up with solvent. I fear that you will not have much success.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: