Proven cleaning tips for porcelain sinks/toilets?

Old 01-30-06, 05:33 PM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Proven cleaning tips for porcelain sinks/toilets?

Hi,

I've come across a toilet and sink that has some stubborn dark stains. The toilet stain is a ring at the water level, and the sink stain is near the drain. Im not sure what kind of stains they are, but would assume that its from years of hard water? Its like a dark green or black color. Comet (powder cleaner) has no effect on these stains. Are there any proven products that you've personally used that has taken similar stubborn pocelain stains out?

I've read using white vineager or lighter fluid on a general web search, but would like a suggestion/recommendation from personal use.

thanks,

chris

Old 01-30-06, 06:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I use LimeAway. For stubborn stains, let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub. Might take a few applications.

Old 01-31-06, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CLR and lime away products are usually the best. Be careful using them around stainless fixtures as acidic pH cleaners will damage them.

Old 02-08-06, 04:28 PM
Talking

The absolute best thing on the market is only 1.88 at Walmart. It's called Purnie Stain Stick similar to a pumice stone, I guess like a plummer's rock so I've heard. It's pretty easy to use. No FUMES! It leaves it looking like brand new. I also use it on tile. It's the ONLY thing that will get that nasty soap scum off of them. I have tried EVERYTHING on the market, believe me, no matter how much it costs they never work. My tiles now look like new again. It's absolute AMAZING.

Old 02-09-06, 06:35 PM
T
A paste of Barkeeper's Friend or Zud and water on stains is usually effective. Repeat applications may be necessary. Turn off water supply to toilet and flush so that you can tackle the stain. As indicated, a pumice stone (wet before using) is an option on mineral deposits and stains in toilet.

Stains around sink drain may be removed with Barkeeper's Friend or Zud. Avoid abrasive cleaners. Avoid acidic cleaners on metal fixtures. If sink is cultured marble, stains may be permanent where gel coat has cracked from thermal shock and moisture has gotten beneath gel coat. If sink is porcelain, proceed as you did with the toilet. If sink is plastic, stains are likely permanent.

Old 02-28-06, 10:19 PM
G
Originally Posted by Brazen C5
I've read using white vineager or lighter fluid on a general web search, but would like a suggestion/recommendation from personal use.
haven't tried it on the toilet yet, but vinegar's worked wonders on removing other stubborn buildup on our porcelain sinks! soak paper towels in distilled white vinegar and place on the stain ... allow to sit a few hours or overnight ... wipe clean with the same paper towels you used and it should make a huge difference ... i used a fingernail for more stubborn buildup, but a plastic scraper ought to do just as well ... btw, these were buildups that even CLR or LimeAway couldn't get rid of, and at around $2/gal for vinegar, who can beat it? ... your problem sounds like it might be a little different than mine (color, mainly), but this very well may work for you ...

Old 12-04-08, 11:02 AM
R
Question MarthaRae

Originally Posted by MarthaRae View Post
The absolute best thing on the market is only 1.88 at Walmart. It's called Purnie Stain Stick similar to a pumice stone, I guess like a plummer's rock so I've heard. It's pretty easy to use. No FUMES! It leaves it looking like brand new. I also use it on tile. It's the ONLY thing that will get that nasty soap scum off of them. I have tried EVERYTHING on the market, believe me, no matter how much it costs they never work. My tiles now look like new again. It's absolute AMAZING.
Are you sure about the spelling of Purnie and/or that it was Wal-Mart? I have checked all of the locals with no luck, not to mention their web-site.

Old 12-04-08, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 125 Posts
This thread is almost 3 years old so maybe they don't sell it anymore. MarthaRae has not logged on in over a year.

Old 12-06-08, 10:18 AM
roger what type of shower surround are we talking about? and what sort of problem just soap scum, rust? feel free to start a new thread about your particular problem for the best chance of getting a good answer

Old 02-06-09, 12:23 PM
K
Pumice stone

Originally Posted by rogerinflorida View Post
Are you sure about the spelling of Purnie and/or that it was Wal-Mart? I have checked all of the locals with no luck, not to mention their web-site.
It's pumice stone, a rectangular stick of pumice stone. You can find it at Walmart or some other drug stores, lowes or ace hardware might carry it. It also comes on a wooden stick so you don't have to touch the stone, but it's a whole lot more money. I just wear gloves or put a cloth around it or else it rubs the skin off. I've used it for years & it really is great, doesn't ruin the porcelain.

Old 04-23-09, 09:30 AM
the pumice stone brand name is "Pumie"

Pumie - Pumice Scouring and Cleaning Stick

I bought one at a janitorial supply company

Old 11-20-13, 01:20 AM
T
Be careful of pumice stones!

Like you, I heard that pumice stones work wonders on hard water stains. So I got one. And sure, it worked great. The problem was, the scratching destroyed the porcelain toilet. In order to keep it clean looking, I had to use the pumice stone at least weekly. It was as if stains latched on to the now scratchy surface, and the stains came on faster than ever.

I eventually replaced the toilets because of all the scratch damage from the pumice stones. Never again! Don't be tempted to get pumice stones unless you don't care about the lifespan of your toilets. (Sometimes people use these before putting their homes on the market. Then, poor people who purchase the homes. . . . scratched toilets.)

Use limeaway or a similar product, even baking soda & vinegar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: