Help: White athletic shoes yellow after cleaning

Old 02-01-06, 03:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Help: White athletic shoes yellow after cleaning

I hate dirty white shoes so i always keep them clean and i have made many pairs turn yellow trying. The shoes are athletic (like Nike Shox), not canvas or leather. And it seems like all parts turn slightly yellowish: the leather/vinyl part, the painted white rubber lower part, but most severely the synthetic fibers making up the tongue area and the laces.

I have tried everything and i am very careful not to use known yellowing agents (i.e. chlorine bleach, copious amounts of detergent). I have tried laundry detergent for whites with 'bleach alternative', white vinegar, blueing, hydrogen peroxide, oxyclean, toothpase and nothing gets them back to their original gleaming bluish white color. Most end up getting brownish yellow stains from any combination of the above cleaners. If anyone has advice please let me know, or if anyone knows of anything that I mentioned that will surely turn them yellow please identify it.
Thanks

Old 02-02-06, 12:07 PM
Try a protein cleaner...sounds like soil, sweat, etc. You can pick some up at pet stores, online, janitoral supplies and home improvement stores.

Apply to the area let sit 10-15 mins and launder as usual. Yellow using occurs due to high pH. But in this case i think its just gross loads of soil. I would clean them best you can..apply a water/stain repplent spray to shoes.

Old 02-03-06, 06:12 PM
J
i dont think its protein and i know its not soil. i should have specified that the shoes are new or almost new with just a couple small scuffs when i cleaned them and it was the cleaning that made the fabric very yellow.

Old 02-04-06, 02:18 PM
Ok that helps out..A yellowing condition..may indicate a alkaline pH in the material that is too high. Nylon is very well known to do this. Try using a acidic pH cleaner...a mixture of vinegar perhaps.

Old 02-06-06, 07:35 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
None of the cleaning products mentioned are recommended for cleaning athletic shoes. It is best to follow manufacturer's instructions. There are commercial, non-yellowing shoe cleaners available at athletic shoe stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: