Fish Oil in clothes- EVERYTHING STINKS!

Old 02-03-06, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fish Oil in clothes- EVERYTHING STINKS!

I feed my dogs these little fish oil pills. A few went through the laundry, and now one shirt REALLY stinks, and we can't get the smell out. It makes everything it is washed with stink too! Any advice??

Old 02-03-06, 05:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Put some dishwashing soap that claims to cut grease in a bucket and fill with hot water. Let the shirt soak in that for a couple hours and then wash again.

Old 02-06-06, 07:40 PM
T
Wash shirt in hottest water recommended for fabric with heavy duty liquid laundry detergent and 1 cup ammonia on a small wash load. Repeat if necessary.

Old 02-28-06, 10:22 PM
G
put 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle ... this should help reduce the smell while also doubling as a better fabric softener ... if your washing machine has a built-in fabric softener dispenser, just fill that as you normally would, but with white vinegar instead ... i do this on all loads and it does a much better job than fabric softener and helps get out mildew-y smells from our towels

Old 09-25-11, 01:39 PM
K
A load of my favorite shorts and shirts went thru the laundry with 2 fish oil gel caps. I have washed them like 10 times now. I tried Dawn dish washing soap, vinegar, baking soda, bleach, Tide, ERA, OXYClean at different times - net result was clothes that smelled like vinegar and fish oil. The vinegar smell is just as nasty and hard to get out as the fish oil. Finally, I put them outside for several days to hang in the sun...the first noticeable improvement. Ended up leaving them out there for like 5 days (making sure they are not moldering or anything). The sun eliminated %85-%90 of the smell. Then I washed them 3 times with Natures Miracle odor and pet stain removal laundry detergent (Petco has it). Now I have clothes that I can actually wear again!!! Sheeesh!

Old 09-26-11, 11:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Odors are particulate, if you leave them long enough they will run out of particles. Air movement across them speeds the process.

Old 01-16-14, 12:37 PM
M
"On Gaurd" essential oil and Lemon essential oil.

I tried everything to get the smell of 4 fish oil caps out of my clothes and dryer. Dishsoap, baking power, lemon concentrate, vinegar, pet odor remover, hanging them outside. I must have washed them 10 times and they still wreaked. An herbalist friend of mine gave me lemon essential oil, and another oil called "On Gaurd" (it smells sort of like cloves and probably some other things). I used two drops of each and rand the clothes thru on warm. I did it a second time because I was so skeptical. It worked like a charm! I had just thrown the less important stuff to the side and was planning on just trashing it, but I tried the "On Gaurd" oil on it, and it came out the first time. I wish I has discovered this before I spent so much energy! No idea where you get the stuff, it was just a sample. Probably Whole Foods or something, just Google it. Please note, I am talking about ESSENTIAL OIL, not juice concentrate. It's much stronger. For example, one drop of peppermint oil is = to 30 cups of peppermint tea.

Old 05-24-14, 05:04 PM
K
Thank you for THE BEST ANWSER!

We are on vacation in Hawaii. I washed a load with a fish oil pill in a pocket. I read all your comments and helpful advice. Then I got down to the last one and read about On Guard and Lemon Oil from DoTerra. I would never have thought of that in one million years. Happened to have both with us. Washed the clothes twice after letting them soak in the tub with hot water. They smell great. Only one problem, the new blue blouse ran and the white tee shirt is now pale blue. My fault to try and combine that load. Well, the Hawaiian vacation was rescued and we are all having fun now. Thanks so much. Aloha. P S- doTerra is only available from a dealer. Look it up online. On Guard is actually used to help us fight colds, etc.

Old 05-24-14, 05:25 PM
J
Sheets With a Fish Oil-Cleaning Rag

Yes, my daughter spilled fish oil on the floor and used the dish rag to clean it up with. I didn't know and just threw the rag in with my sheets, washed and dried them, then just threw them on the bed. Kept smelling fish whenever I walked in the bedroom...couldn't figure it out... Once I did, I rewashed the sheets three times with hot water, extra laundry detergent, OxiClean, baking soda, vinegar...you name it! Thank you for the essential oil suggestion. Am trying it right now and will let you know what happens.... To be continued...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: