Bathroom Tile Cleaning

Old 02-21-06, 01:14 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Tile Cleaning

just bought a home that did has very hard water-previous owner did not have a water softner. I have dark brown bathroom tile and it has lots of hard water marks on them. I have tried hard water cleaners, erasers, vinigar-nothing works. Does anyone have a way to take off the marks so my tile will shine again. Thanks

Old 02-21-06, 05:32 AM
T
If you have used mineral deposit cleaners such as CLR or others per instructions, it is possible that the hard water minerals have etched the glazing on the tile. Perhaps waxing the tile with auto wax will minimize the problem and restore some of the original shine.

Old 02-21-06, 06:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Be careful if applying automotive wax to a floor, as it can be slippery, especially when wet.

Old 02-21-06, 09:47 PM
There is also one more possibility....sometimes people accidently use products such as mop n' glow or other type products for prolonged periods of time. Basicly its a wax type product..which over time causes build up. It could be possible that what you are seeing is areas were this may of worn off or not adhered to the tile itself. Take some ammonia and apply to a rag and wipe in a corner of the bathroom..see what it does...if it removes the effects or you see a drastic removal of soil---this may be the problem. Most tiles such as ceramic, commonly found in bathrooms are not meant to be waxed or finished...only the grout needs to be sealed. You may have to let the ammonia set for 5-10 mins to see what it does. If that does the trick and you feel comfortable enough..mix up the same solution of ammonia and water...4:1 4 parts water one part ammonia and try cleaning the floor with that. Rinse well with plain hot water afterwards. Ventilate well.

Old 02-23-06, 04:29 AM
C
Talking

thanks for your advise. I hope I did not mislead you-my tile problem is not the on the floor. It is in my shower stall on walls. I am going to try your ideas. I just want some of the shine back. The hard water marks are where the shower water hit the tile-when door is open-it looks awlful. I would hate to have to redo tile job. I have found out that using too many cleaners takes out some of the grout-I will need to replace some of that before I use shower stall.THanks for your help

Old 02-23-06, 06:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Wall tiles benefit greatly from a coat of automotive wax to keep the water from adhering to the walls and causing spots - once clean, get out the wax like twelvepole sugested.

Old 02-28-06, 11:02 PM
G
one word

vinegar! no, seriously ... if it's really bad, soak paper towels in distilled white vinegar (costs about $2 per gallon for the Kroger/Dillans brand where i'm at) and "stick" them to the tiles (the moisture should keep them in place) ... let them sit for a few hours (or overnight if it's really bad) ... i did this on all our faucets and in our bathtub and ended up wiping away the deposits with nothing more than the same paper towels i used to soak and my FINGERNAIL for anything that was stubborn! (the bathtub had a mix of vinegar and water that soaked over night ... when i went to scrub, the calcium ring around the draing just floated away!)

on these same deposits, i tore the heck out of my hands (not to mention my lungs, even in a well-ventilated area) using harsh chemicals such as LimeAway and CLR ... even when scrubbing, nothing budged ... much cheaper and healthier solution, not to mention EFFECTIVE!

also, once you get the deposits off, pour 1/3 cup vinegar and 1/3 cup lysol (or similar cleaner/disinfectant) and fill the rest of the way with water... this solution works great for sinks, showers, tubs, mirrors, windows, etc, etc, etc and will make surfaces such as metal and glass shine like nothing else i've ever tried! ... nothing like being able to use the same cleaner for the entire bathroom, either!

Old 02-28-06, 11:40 PM
be careful mixing any 2 chemicals together...this changes how both work and how they will respond...not saying it doesnt work...but by combining anything together you expose yourself to risk. The only thing i reccomend mixing chems with is plain water

Old 03-02-06, 07:54 AM
M
If you are wondering whether the tile is etched from hard water or merely coated try taking a straight edge razor and see if you can scrape off scum/ residue. That narrows down your choice of remedies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: