Cold Water Tide

Old 03-05-06, 07:29 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cold Water Tide

Hi, to get right tot he point. We are thinking of switching to Cold Water Tide to wash our clothing and towels etc. Were told that the cold water tide will clean well, but its not reccomended to wash towels, as it dosen't get rid of germs. Is this is a fact, or does anyone have information on this.?? Thanks

Old 03-05-06, 07:51 AM
HughP, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Most laundry detergents do not claim to kill germs whether used in hot or cold water. The water temperature would be the only thing that would kill germs and that would be over 180 degrees. I believe that any detergent that kills germs would also ruin your clothes. If your bathing or dish soap doesn't kill them then they are still on your body or dishes and I don't see an end to them. Maybe a color-safe bleach detergent. We use Tide cold water detergent and are very happy with the results. Good luck.

Old 03-05-06, 12:36 PM
H
cold water tide

Thanks, that sounds sensible to me.

Old 03-05-06, 12:59 PM
agreed with dragon on this one...water temp is the most important thing...disinfectants tend to be too harsh on fabrics after time

Old 03-05-06, 02:11 PM
S
I recently saw a comparison of cold water tide and three other detergents ( all warm water and various brands including regular tide) and the cold water tide did the worst stain removing and general cleaning job of the four.I personally have found cold water washing effective with certain stains such as blood and with items that were not heavily soiled.To those who are getting good results with cold water tide or not that's great but I have to say my experiences would basically be described as fair results with only specific situations turning out really well.

Old 03-07-06, 11:59 AM
T
If killing germs in laundry is a concern, then use chlorine bleach or Lysol to disinfect. Water temperature must be 180 degrees or more to disinfect. Most water heaters are not set at 180 degrees. Cold water laundry products are offered to consumers who are concerned about saving energy due to rising energy costs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: