Bath Mat Question

Old 03-27-06, 02:16 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bath Mat Question

got a bath mat to stand on after showering, rubber bottom, carpet on top, standard type.

washed and dried twice, cold water, medium heat, no problems.

third time i washed it was today in HOT water by accident, and on the bottom appeared some yellow discoloration on the white rubber!

girl i know that works at the laundry said it's URINE STAINED!

huh????? i said i have never peed on the damn thing, she said sometimes washing stuff brings out cat and dog urine stains....

i do not have a dog or cat, but searching my little melon, i DID have the toilet overflow a time or two..........cleaned the vinyl bathroom floor with spray cleaner, washed, dried............

bottom line is what the hell could make it turn yellow in spots???? i have seen it happen from too hot dryers but never from hot water washing................

ease my paranoia- pee would have shown as a stain BEFORE WASHING YES???? like as soon as the pee got on the rubber, then got stood on with wet tootsies????? well, no yellow anything prior to today's washeroo.....

HELP!

Old 03-27-06, 02:21 PM
I wouldnt take too much "stock" in what you were told. What it sounds like is the rubber or vinyl has reacted to the heat or detergent. It doesnt not sound like a urine issue. I have seen this happen many times and its just the reaction with the rubber or vinyl backing. Most detergents have a high pH which has been known to cause browning or yellowing in certain materials. Since these bath mats are usually pretty inexpensive. I wouldnt worry too much and just get another one if you wish. Again, i do not think it is a urine issue.

Old 03-27-06, 03:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
The backings on all of our mats have turned yellow over the years, including the ones by the front and garage doors. This is no big deal.

kathann voted this post useful.
Old 03-27-06, 07:16 PM
P
Talking

thanks for the inputs!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: